How do you find one? - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2019 Thread Starter

How do you find one?

Ahoy!

I知 a lifelong windsurfer and occasional sailer of scows, Sunfish and Lasers. Now 50 something, I知 looking for a stable, easy set-up sailboat that I can singlehand, but also can take friends擁deally a party of four. My criteria are:

1. Shallow draft (Minnesota lakes)
2. Easy set up and take down (I do not live on a lake)
3. Non-racer
4. Not a project boat
5. <15k, ideally <10K

Boats that appeal to me so far are the Com-Pac Sunday Cat, the Gig Harbor Jersey Skiff, the Sage 15/17, all of which are likely out of my reach on #5 barring a miracle. I致e also been looking at Potters and have made inquiries on a locally available CD Typhoon (probably problematic on criteria #1 and #2)

I started looking in the fall, just as the used market was drying up for the year. I知 now following sailboatlistings and a couple of others, but I notice that most of the ads are years old. I know that it is early, but the only responses I am getting to inquiries so far are 都old it and predatory spam from brokers who are 努orking hard to find [me] a boat. Gah悠 can almost see the plaid tie and cheap suit.

Help a poor sailer in flyover country. Where do I find a boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019

Re: How do you find one?

trailer sailer with keel or centerboard? what do you have to tow it with? daysailer or over night stay?

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
trailer sailer with keel or centerboard? what do you have to tow it with? daysailer or over night stay?
Centerboards probably make more sense for Minnesota, but I知 ok with a keel if it meets my criteria. Shoal keels or shoal keels plus centerboard would be fine almost everywhere I知 likely to sail. The problem with keelboats in general is that they become harder to get in and out of the water. I知 still going to look at the Cape Dory Typhoon when the snow melts (I just spent two hours shoveling off my roof), but the problem there is a 43 year old boat with a reputation for problems around the chainplates.

I have a Toyota Highlander rated to 3500# and a Mazda CX-5 rated to 2000#.

Old 03-03-2019

The problem is with the boats you mentioned the newer designs go for a pretty penny. For less than $10k you would have a large choice of 22+ footers but they are hard to day sail with. Cockpits on the smaller boats will be tight for 4 adults.

Older Potters and Montgomerys would be in your price range.

Montgomery 15 or 17
Montgomerys For Sail

Potter 19
https://www.potter-yachters.org/forsale/boats.html

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
The problem is with the boats you mentioned the newer designs go for a pretty penny. For less than $10k you would have a large choice of 22+ footers but they are hard to day sail with. Cockpits on the smaller boats will be tight for 4 adults.

Older Potters and Montgomerys would be in your price range.

Thank you, although again, most of those are long since sold.

I’ve actually found a couple of Sunday Cats in my price range, but they are usually in Florida. By the time I either travelled down or hired a marine surveyor and shipped, I’d be sharply increasing my costs. I’m hoping one comes available near me, although I recognize that the odds are strongly against it. What I’m trying to figure out is that if one does become available, where will it show up first? Craigslist? SailboatListings? Somewhere else?

I want to be able to jump on a good boat if it comes available.
Old 03-03-2019
Lake Sailor

Nice to see another Minnesota sailor. I went to Florida to get my First 235. You just have to be diligent n your search. Try Hooper's Yachts, he usually has a decent selection. What lakes are you wanting to sail? I just saw a 235 that came up for sale in South Carolina. Craig's List is probably better than most. For SailboatListings, check that ad date as a lot go stale and are old. Hit me up if you have any MN questions. I sail on Minnetonka, Wayzata Yacht Club.
jephotog likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
Thank you, although again, most of those are long since sold.

I致e actually found a couple of Sunday Cats in my price range, but they are usually in Florida.
You are correct it may be worth paying $5k more for a local boat. You are also in a wierd price bracket where those kind of boats won't be listed by a broker. You need to pull out all the stops, Craigslist, Kijiji, etc. Maybe put a boat wanted in the Monty and Potter classifieds. There are likely a number of boats available in your area buried under snow for the moment. When things melt in April and May more boats will be posted locally.

I drove across the country for my last boat. None were available on the West Coast and I wanted "that" boat.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
Old 03-03-2019

How about a Catalina 22 , vintage around mid 80's , swing keel and pop top + trailer you could probably score for not over 6K .

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-22

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
Old 03-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
How about a Catalina 22 , vintage around mid 80's , swing keel and pop top + trailer you could probably score for not over 6K .

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/catalina-22
Agreed a C22 or 25 or lots of boats in that size range are available for a fraction of the price of a newer Com-pac or Precision. A boat 22 feet or bigger would be hard to day sail from a trailer. If the OP can find a slip or mooring a C25 would be a great boat to take out some friends or spend the weekend on.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
Old 03-04-2019
Lake Sailor

Depending on where you are planning on sailing here in MN, shallow draft is not really that necessary. Minnetonka is actually quite deep and there are people that sail Catalina 22's and First 235's on Harriet or Nokomis in Minneapolis. Though, those two lakes are quite limited due to their size for a sailing for a day. If you are in the metro area, you could do Minnetonka easily. The city of Excelsior has mooring buoys that rarely fill. You could get one of those in Excelsior Bay, I did it with my O'Day 25 before I started racing. It is very reasonable considering the costs of marinas on that lake. There are numerous options out there for you.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

Tags
com-pac , daysailer , montgomery , potter , sage

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in