Hello from SoCal - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By desmond275

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Hello from SoCal

Hi All-
Currently looking for a blue water capable sailboat under 30' due to limited slips. Looking forward to learning a lot from the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-08-2019

Re: Hello from SoCal

Hi Desmond , what boats interest you so far ?

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #3 of 9 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm focusing in on Pacific Seacraft or Island Packet. There is a Pacific Seacraft for sale in the area but Im having trouble getting in touch with the owner directly. He posts on here under "littlewing" but hasnt logged in for 8 years.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

I’m in Fullerton and from my understanding Los Alimitos is the closest marina. I was told slips under 30’ have a 6 month waitlist.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-08-2019

Hey Desmond , what you need to do is get on the wait list asp even if you don't have your boat yet . Also , (sorry if you already know this) the way the marina decides what boat goes where is by LOA . Plus they have a new rule if you are 33' you can rent a 35' slip , but that is only for a 30' slip . Other wise in a 25' slip you can put in a boat that is 29' 11" . Do not be discouraged by what you hear from the office and remember the squeaky winch gets the grease .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #6 of 9 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Hey Desmond , what you need to do is get on the wait list asp even if you don't have your boat yet . Also , (sorry if you already know this) the way the marina decides what boat goes where is by LOA . Plus they have a new rule if you are 33' you can rent a 35' slip , but that is only for a 30' slip . Other wise in a 25' slip you can put in a boat that is 29' 11" . Do not be discouraged by what you hear from the office and remember the squeaky winch gets the grease .
Copy that! I plan to go into the office this weekend to pay the $65 to get on the wait list for this calendar year. They said the 30' slips have a 2 year wait list!
post #7 of 9 Old 04-08-2019

Desmond , you might be able to save the $65. This morning I didn't want to say anything about slip availability but now I can tell you what I thought , right now there are at least 5 25' slips empty . Saw it myself . Without getting to wound up how the office works you might say one hand doesn't know what the other is doing . The slip I'm in right now they told me don't even bother with a transfer request you will never get it , took 3 months .
For your situation I'm not sure if you need to get on the wait list but it won't hurt except the fact you will be out $65. I think if you showed up with your boat you could get a slip .
When you do get to the office ask for Kimarie Vestre , she is the Harbor Master . # 562- 570- 3236 [email protected]
Good luck , keep us posted . First beer is on me .

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
The Following User Says Thank You to Markwesti For This Useful Post:
desmond275 (04-08-2019)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Desmond , you might be able to save the $65. This morning I didn't want to say anything about slip availability but now I can tell you what I thought , right now there are at least 5 25' slips empty . Saw it myself . Without getting to wound up how the office works you might say one hand doesn't know what the other is doing . The slip I'm in right now they told me don't even bother with a transfer request you will never get it , took 3 months .
For your situation I'm not sure if you need to get on the wait list but it won't hurt except the fact you will be out $65. I think if you showed up with your boat you could get a slip .
When you do get to the office ask for Kimarie Vestre , she is the Harbor Master . # 562- 570- 3236 [email protected]
Good luck , keep us posted . First beer is on me .
Thanks for the insight! Really appreciate you sharing your experience. Ill send you a PM shortly...
Markwesti likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-10-2019

Figure out where you are going to keep the boat and what the max length is allowed and how they measure it. Usually they measure overall length so pulpits, anchors on rollers, bowsprits, stern ladders, self steering gear add to the length. Our 32' Westsail got kicked out of a 35' slip because the overall length was closer to 42'. Newest boat is advertised as 28' but found out later when the harbor measured it from Pulpit to Pulpit it just, and I mean a 1/4", measured into the 29' max slip length. I would have been SOL for a slip as wait list for the next size up is years long.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in