Allmand 31 keel cement? - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By roverhi
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2019 Thread Starter

Allmand 31 keel cement?

Hello everyone. I joined this forum a couple of years ago, I have a 1982 C&C MKII which I’m currently selling because I’ve just bought a 1981 Allmand 31which needs a little bit of love. I am concerned about the keel. I have read they are iron, but a good chunk is missing and it definitely looks like cement? Also there is moisture dripping😳 I will enclose a pic. Thanks for your advice/thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
E18EB29B-AE4C-4B21-908F-D39FCBC04D1C_1557139426051.jpeg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-07-2019

Re: Allmand 31 keel cement?

If the ballast is internal it was not unknown to cover the ballast with cement and even mix steel punchings with concrete. Typically this was done on wooden boats but also on fiberglass especially amateur finished hulls. Not my idea of the best way to build a boat but works.
Sherry Morphet likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-07-2019
Administrator

Like many of the internal ballasted boat builders of that era, Allmand used a mix of concrete and a ballast material for their keels. If your boat has the short rig, most likely the ballast is iron pigs and steel boiler punchings in concrete. Allmand offered a tall rig and if you selected the tall rig there was an optional lead keel that went along with it. My recollection is that the ballast in the lead keel version was lead shot mixed in polyester resin. If your keel appears to be cement, that probably means that it is the iron ballasted-short rig version of the boat.

Iron ballast in concrete is about the worst form of ballast that is out there. Ignoring that it is very low densiity, sooner or later water can get to the iron and start to rust it. Over time you end up with a bilge full of broken up concrete that has iron in it making it harder to remove.

Jeff
Sherry Morphet likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your reply, that doesnt sound like it will be an easy job!
I drilled a small hole up into the keel, water is coming out of it, it is not rusty but whitish from the cement I gather. Lets see what happens. Watch this space or not! yikes!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in