New to SailNet - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By johnld
  • 1 Post By johnld
  • 2 Post By MarkofSeaLife
  • 2 Post By paulinnanaimo
  • 1 Post By johnld
  • 2 Post By capttb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-19-2019 Thread Starter

New to SailNet

Greetings to All,
I'm new to the forum and appreciate all the great info here. We've recently purchased a "project boat", a 1976 Bristol 32C, with a Universal M 30. She's a real beauty with a factory installed cutter rig with teak bowsprit and substantial reinforcements to the bow. She has incredible ventilation with two hatches and four opening ports, beautiful trim and quality throughout. We used to sail a Bristol 24 and were impressed with her handling, especially in a blow. The quality of Bristol's is evident, so we decided on a bigger model with a head and bigger cabin. She's not the fastest or roomiest compared to designs of today, but she exudes character and grace and one of the prettiest hulls this side of a Hinkley Pilot. I'm still an amateur to sailing so will undoubtedly ask silly or remedial questions in my quest for sources for information and guidance. Thanks again to the forum for it's hospitality.

Kind regards,

Johnny
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-19-2019
Administrator

Re: New to SailNet

Welcome to SailNet. Hopefully you can get the kind of support that it takes to work your way through the restoration process.

One word of caution, try not to put too much into the restoration. Try to enjoy the boat for what they are rather than trying to create a new modern boat. I suggest this because, while Bristol 32's are very pretty boats, their resale value will always be limited by their mediocre sailing ability, motion comfort, interior volume, carrying capacity, and build quality.

Good luck with your project,
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2019

I second that- sail the hell out of her until you have to fix something or winterize. Then start projects.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR

post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff.
I appreciate your suggestions as we would never consider making her a new, modern boat. We'll be sailing on Lk. Champlain where the 110 mile long and 10 mile wide waters will be perfect for her. Although, a North/South wind opens a far fetch for 6 foot waves which can be pretty choppy as the mountains create a venturi effect increasing in velocity, but other than that she's a perfect weekender. As far as her sailing ability, I have nothing but the B24 to compare it to for cruising and we loved the B24. The B32 a good fit for our needs and hopefully only needs minor work to plumb the engine (M30 w/less than 200 hrs.) and re wire a few projects.The lack of my experience finds the carrying capacity to be voluminous by comparison and build quality seems excellent throughout.

Last edited by johnld; 05-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnld View Post
As far as her sailing ability, ....
On the dock this morning is one of those go-fast sleds about 60 feet long and about 30 feet wide - I kid you not . They musta come in overnight.

It's cold and wet and no wind and they are standing in the rain in their bright Red and Yellow and Orange Musto et al racing heavy weather gear... One guy is scrubbing the deck IN THE RAIN.

I am heading up to the marinas hot showers in jeans as I get off my boat they all stop and look at me as I push the button on my UMBRELLA.

My boat may not sail as well as theirs.. but I enjoy mine to the Max!

Enjoy your new boat!

Mark
SanderO and johnld like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2019

I often wash the boat in the rain, it saves a lot of rinsing...especially good in the winter when the marina fresh water supply is turned off.
MarkofSeaLife and johnld like this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2019 Thread Starter

I know she has a deep curved sheer and and plenty of overhang fore and aft and some might say she sails a bit clumsy too. Apparently, she's also tender up to 15-20 as was the B24, but should settle in at 15-20. I actually don't mind that because you're increasing water length much faster. Maybe all her misgivings will make me a better sailor and not teach me bad habits. Hopefully, I'll know the difference. The bowsprit opens up a larger fore triangle too, so when the wind is in our favor, she'll look majestic with her yankee pair flying!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
I often wash the boat in the rain,
Crazy! Loochoo! Loco!

There should be a law against it!

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2019

The other day the guy I PAY to wash the boat showed up and I told him "Forget it, it's too cold and windy to be playing with the hose."
"Thanks, he said, I'll get it first thing tomorrow."
SanderO and MarkofSeaLife like this.

"Just call me TB"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in