SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New to SailNet

741 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  capttb 
#1 ·
Greetings to All,
I'm new to the forum and appreciate all the great info here. We've recently purchased a "project boat", a 1976 Bristol 32C, with a Universal M 30. She's a real beauty with a factory installed cutter rig with teak bowsprit and substantial reinforcements to the bow. She has incredible ventilation with two hatches and four opening ports, beautiful trim and quality throughout. We used to sail a Bristol 24 and were impressed with her handling, especially in a blow. The quality of Bristol's is evident, so we decided on a bigger model with a head and bigger cabin. She's not the fastest or roomiest compared to designs of today, but she exudes character and grace and one of the prettiest hulls this side of a Hinkley Pilot. I'm still an amateur to sailing so will undoubtedly ask silly or remedial questions in my quest for sources for information and guidance. Thanks again to the forum for it's hospitality.

Kind regards,

Johnny

#2 ·
Welcome to SailNet. Hopefully you can get the kind of support that it takes to work your way through the restoration process.

One word of caution, try not to put too much into the restoration. Try to enjoy the boat for what they are rather than trying to create a new modern boat. I suggest this because, while Bristol 32's are very pretty boats, their resale value will always be limited by their mediocre sailing ability, motion comfort, interior volume, carrying capacity, and build quality.

Good luck with your project,
Jeff

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Jeff.
I appreciate your suggestions as we would never consider making her a new, modern boat. We'll be sailing on Lk. Champlain where the 110 mile long and 10 mile wide waters will be perfect for her. Although, a North/South wind opens a far fetch for 6 foot waves which can be pretty choppy as the mountains create a venturi effect increasing in velocity, but other than that she's a perfect weekender. As far as her sailing ability, I have nothing but the B24 to compare it to for cruising and we loved the B24. The B32 a good fit for our needs and hopefully only needs minor work to plumb the engine (M30 w/less than 200 hrs.) and re wire a few projects.The lack of my experience finds the carrying capacity to be voluminous by comparison and build quality seems excellent throughout.

#5 ·
As far as her sailing ability, ....
On the dock this morning is one of those go-fast sleds about 60 feet long and about 30 feet wide - I kid you not . They musta come in overnight.

It's cold and wet and no wind and they are standing in the rain in their bright Red and Yellow and Orange Musto et al racing heavy weather gear... One guy is scrubbing the deck IN THE RAIN.

I am heading up to the marinas hot showers in jeans as I get off my boat they all stop and look at me as I push the button on my UMBRELLA.

My boat may not sail as well as theirs.. but I enjoy mine to the Max! :grin :grin :grin

Enjoy your new boat! :)

Mark

#7 ·
I know she has a deep curved sheer and and plenty of overhang fore and aft and some might say she sails a bit clumsy too. Apparently, she's also tender up to 15-20º as was the B24, but should settle in at 15-20º. I actually don't mind that because you're increasing water length much faster. Maybe all her misgivings will make me a better sailor and not teach me bad habits. Hopefully, I'll know the difference. The bowsprit opens up a larger fore triangle too, so when the wind is in our favor, she'll look majestic with her yankee pair flying!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.