Solo Sailing Colgate 26? - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tanley
  • 1 Post By sailingfool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Solo Sailing Colgate 26?

I'm member of a club in Boston with Colgate 26s. At times I need to solo. Any SOURCES of tips, techniques, equip., etc.??? Thanks, Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Solo Sailing Colgate 26?

I have soloed the Colgate 26 several times while moving one of the boats from Captiva to Fort Myers Beach (Estero Island) or visa-versa. When you start out, just raise the main until you get the feel of it. The boat won't point as well as it should, but it is a lot easier to manage. You will use the ratchet setting of the mainsheet block. If this is going well, then use the tiller extention and get a feel for that - you will need it when you unfurl the Jib. Lastly, unfurl the jib and take one or two turns around the winch, but do not use the self-tailer. Try to keep both jibsheets with at least a turn around the winch drums. When I am single handing I hold the jibsheet in the same hand as the main 85% of the time. Fuggedabout raising the spinnaker or any hank-on sail.

BTW - if the club is BlackRock (the only "club" that I know of in Boston with Colgate 26s), the last that I knew they did not allow anyone to solo sail ANY of their boats. Two people were required to be aboard to leave the mooring or the slip. You may want to doublecheck this policy with Cap'n. Paul.

BlackRock also didn't have tiller extentions aboard their boats. They also had at least one Colgate 26 with a hank-on jib.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago

In addition to the good tips from eherlihy, there's another member here with extensive experience on the Colgate 26; and I've witnessed him single-hand that boat in some pretty high winds (note what I believe to be a tiller extension). Hopefully he'll chime in too.

eherlihy likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Ha ha. Sweet sailing for sure. As the picture indicates, the Colgate is an easy boat to single hand. While the sheet winches are a bit o a reach forward from the tiller, they are only a few feet apart so tacking is pretty easy. There should be a tiller extension...if you use it, keep a very careful lookout as there's a big blindspot to leeward from the winward highside.

Operating under power single handed is very tricky as it's hard to reach the OB which tends to rotate when running... Practice before you get into close quarters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
eherlihy likes this.

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in