Bracket - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Bracket

I am in need of a new bracket for my 23ft Hunter. My previous motor was a Nissan 8. My new motor is a Mercury 9.9 and the bracket won’t hold it properly. Does anyone have a suggestion on what type of bracket I should purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Re: Bracket

Your question probably should be in Gear and Maintenance. But putting that aside, your question (Does anyone know what type of bracket will hold a Mercury 9.9 outboard motor on a 23ft Hunter?) is not one that most, if any members can actually answer since it is a little unique to your boat.

Trying to get you towards an answer, Hunter probably used a specific bracket when your boat was built and if you want the holes to match you might want to look and see if the manufacturer's name is on the existing bracket.

If you don't have the original bracket then you are stuck picking from generic brackets. Complicating going that route is the fact that Hunter made two different boats that were generically called Hunter 23's. One in the mid-1980's and the other in the mid-1990's and those would each probably require a different bracket. You have not mentioned if this is a two-stroke or a four-stroke since a 4 -stroke requires a heavier duty bracket. I will assume that you are getting a 4-stroke.

Depending on options a 9.9 hp Mercury 4 stroke outboard weights around 85 to 95 lbs. This outboard bracket is made for that weight and horsepower engine and is adaptable for a reverse transom such as you have on either Hunter. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...5?recordNum=25

Before you purchase it you might want to measure the angle of your transom and contact Marine Tech directly and confirm that it will work with the angle of your transom.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 1 Week Ago at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in