Here we go! Advice please... - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 Old 07-25-2019

Re: Here we go! Advice please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
-Those PVC covers on the standing rig. Be sure to look underneath them to assess the condition of the hardware. They're great for protecting you from the rigging, but also tend to hide problems. If you buy this boat, remove them.
I have PVC covers on my shrouds to protect my sails, especially my nylon drifter. They make low-wind tacks a lot easier and a lot less snag-prone.

But yes, lift them up and check the rigging.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
VAUGHN3 (07-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 07-25-2019

Maybe you could create a checklist of the features that you would like to have and use that check list to filter yoyr search.

Personally if I am working with a set budget, I would generally prefer to go with a smaller/newer boat in better condition vs a bigger older boat in worse condition.

I know if I had a $2000 budget, I would be looking for something quite a bit smaller. The Catalina 22 advice earlier makes sense to me for that reason. Unless there is a specific reason you are looking in the 26-30 ft range.

Last edited by Arcb; 07-25-2019 at 01:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
VAUGHN3 (07-26-2019)
post #23 of 42 Old 07-25-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Geologists often include a quarter or a rockhammer in a photo to show scale.

I'm assuming the corpse draped in the V is to show the scale of the boat.
Ya, it doesn't look like you could quite lay out there. I'm 6 foot. Might be a little cramped.

post #24 of 42 Old 07-25-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUGHN3 View Post
Guys! I want to thank everyone for the replies, really means a lot that you take the time to give input. I've considered things and an option to spend a little more brought me to this. A 1977 Grampian 28. I can find very little information on this boat. Any input on this particular builder would be much appreciated!
I think you are heading in the right direction. Nothing wrong with a 22-foot boat if that is all you can afford, that is how I started. At 28 feet you will have more than twice the space and maybe near standing room, a head maybe even an enclosed head. Everything will cost more but you can do more with the boat also, as far as cruising in comfort.

Grampians are a well respected Canadian made boat.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
VAUGHN3 (07-25-2019)
post #25 of 42 Old 07-25-2019

As you are looking at these options, I wouldn't get too hung up on a make or model. IMHO condition is more important.

At this point, you want a boat you can sail right away without a lot of work. One of the best ways to know if this is possible, is if it is sailing now. So I would buy a boat that is in commission, in the water and used frequently by a knowledgeable owner. Then you can learn to fix it one thing at a time when it breaks....woops, did I say things break?

When we bought the Pearson 22 (too many years ago to acknowledge date), we didn't have a clue. We purchased it from some friends that used it a lot. The took us sailing on it before we bought it. They even answered our questions after we owned it. It had a little outboard (that worked), sails that worked, it was water tight, even had a small head that worked.

I would take this approach, sail it for a few years, then consider what you really want, which might change.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
VAUGHN3 (07-26-2019)
post #26 of 42 Old 07-25-2019

Some number to plan with: Make sure the motor works or prepare to spend, especially if you arent handy with motors. Sails are most likely blown out. Expect about 1K for each. New quality lines, about $100 each. If in salt water especially, check the bottom for growth and age of bottom paint. Look for rust and popped strands on the steel shrouds. Couple of hundred to replace each pair (at least).
The Following User Says Thank You to CrispyCringle For This Useful Post:
VAUGHN3 (07-26-2019)
post #27 of 42 Old 07-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
That looks like a well cared for boat, much better suited to your intended purpose.

Some considerations:
-Those PVC covers on the standing rig. Be sure to look underneath them to assess the condition of the hardware. They're great for protecting you from the rigging, but also tend to hide problems. If you buy this boat, remove them.
-Inspect the bulkheads at the chainplates for signs of water intrusion. Damage to the plywood bulkhead from water intrusion over time will lead to failure that you will notice when the rig is loaded, which is a bad scenario.
-Condition of the motor: Originally launched with volvo engines. Volvos are good engines, but maintenance intensive and parts tend to be more expensive than other brands.
-If it's a fin keel, inspect the keel bolts. (it looks like there were several keel configurations.)

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/grampian-28

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...pian-28-a.html

https://www.grampianowners.com/G28/g28.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grampian_28
Thank you Phil! Appreciate the feedback!
post #28 of 42 Old 07-26-2019 Thread Starter

Okay my friends. So much great advice. I think I found something that I'm really excited about. It's ready to sail, great price but also needs a little love which I want to really put that work into bringing her back to life. I've seen these boats beautifully refinished and have heard really good things about them. It's a 1969 Cal 25. Thoughts? Also what would you say a fair price would be on this boat? I'm offering $2500.00. He is asking 3K.
Attached Thumbnails
fcafe944bc5a427dad785672d1d837c3.jpg   b1172cbaf70546349edb88dc2d2ba19e.jpg   0699cea7a3024706a655d4062ad9590f.jpg   8cdd0cfb71294e07810884e7b77485a7.jpg   3ad803a202514618b5245dc6c41e93e0.jpg  

post #29 of 42 Old 07-26-2019

Dock

CAL 25 is a solid boat. First one I looked at when I started shopping in 2013 but didn't make an offer fast enough. Asking price is in line with the Tampa FL market, not sure where you are.

Same points as previously mentioned. Also;
-Seller says ready to sail. Does he sail it regularly? If not, it might not be. Maybe offer contingent on a sea trial.
-Does it have a running outboard?
-Condition of the sails? You'd be looking in the neighborhood of $2500-3k to replace them new.
-Bottom paint; when was it last done, and is it regularly cleaned? (less important if it's in fresh water)
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilCarlson For This Useful Post:
VAUGHN3 (07-26-2019)
post #30 of 42 Old 07-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
CAL 25 is a solid boat. First one I looked at when I started shopping in 2013 but didn't make an offer fast enough. Asking price is in line with the Tampa FL market, not sure where you are.

Same points as previously mentioned. Also;
-Seller says ready to sail. Does he sail it regularly? If not, it might not be. Maybe offer contingent on a sea trial.
-Does it have a running outboard?
-Condition of the sails? You'd be looking in the neighborhood of $2500-3k to replace them new.
-Bottom paint; when was it last done, and is it regularly cleaned? (less important if it's in fresh water)
Hi Phil, apparently it has a new 4 stroke 9hp outboard, new battery and new hummingbird GPS / Depth finder. Not sure the conditions of the sails or the bottom paint. I'm meeting with the owner today to take a look and talk to him about this. Thanks again Phil!

Tags
first time cruiser , rawson

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in