beach cat to pocket cruiser - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 08-06-2019

Re: beach cat to pocket cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_ruffner View Post
I still want to get into the slip under sail...
Awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 08-06-2019

Quote:
I would love to get a Pearson 30...right now I'm looking at slightly smaller Catalinas just for price sensitivity....basically trying to get my wife hooked.
How big of a Catalina are you thinking about? The 22 is easily trailerable and can be a micro cruiser. My wife and I do OK in ours, not sure how fun it would be if you added a kid.

The Catalina 25 is still trailerable, although I'm sure launching and rigging it is a chore. That would be a fun little thing.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #13 of 23 Old 08-06-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
How big of a Catalina are you thinking about? The 22 is easily trailerable and can be a micro cruiser. My wife and I do OK in ours, not sure how fun it would be if you added a kid.

The Catalina 25 is still trailerable, although I'm sure launching and rigging it is a chore. That would be a fun little thing.
We've been sailing the 22 Capri and while it is roomier than I expected, and one could overnight on it, the port-a-potty vs. having a pump head with a holding tank is a downer. Our son is young, so we'd fit...for now. We took out my SIL and her two kids with us on one cruise, and it was cramped. I just think the 22 is a tad too small, but there are scads of them around for cheap.

I am not looking for a trailer sailer. If I got a 22 I'd leave it in the slip. What my wife dislikes about the P18 (aside from getting wet through the trampoline) is the setup, and I confess, i tire of walking up the mast over the trampoline. I need to work out a rig for that. What we want is a boat in a slip that we can run to after work on Friday and spend a couple of nights aboard, maybe overnight in a destination marina.

I'd skip straight to a C30 if I could get away with it. I'm looking at 25s, 27s and 30s...I think my best bet will be a well-maintained 27. I've been reasonably impressed by the build quality of the C22s I've been sailing. Getting a 30' boat that won't be a ton of immediate maintenance expense in time and money will mean a bigger up-front investment, so a 27 seems most likely. I have helmed Hunters before - taking a turn on someone else's boat - but it's been 20 years, and I just don't remember how it felt. I gather they're somewhat tender, and I'd prefer a faster, stiffer boat. My thinking is that - as others have mentioned - the expectations and goals for serious sailing with little kids aboard should be moderated - so something like this is dandy, and if we all get hooked, the decision to invest in a more serious boat will be much easier to make.

post #14 of 23 Old 08-07-2019

I had my 4 year old son out on a beach cat this winter past. It went pretty well. Conditions were lively, wind was blowing, busting through ocean surf. The boat was steady as a rock. It was a fairly modern boat, Hobie 15. Boomless main, stable with high volume hulls. It might be worth checking out one of the newer generation family oriented beach cats (Hobie Getaway etc).

I wouldn't take him out on my Prindle yet though. Too high strung. Low boom, finger slicing traveler, powerful (for her age).

Something like a Catalina 27 sounds about right for your plan. Standing headroom, enclosed head, stable, chilled out to sail, affordable.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-07-2019

Don't know if you can swing the cost, but how about a Corsair F-27 or Farrier F-22 trimaran?

Pocket cruiser size, and (almost) as fast as your cat.

Cockpit so your wife won't be getting wet through the trampoline. If needed, amas fold up and you can trailer it. Small (camped) living space below.

https://www.f-boat.com/index.html
https://www.boats.com/reviews/perry-design-review-f-27/
post #16 of 23 Old 08-08-2019 Thread Starter

Those are neat boats! They're also quite a bit more expensive than I'm looking for right now. I'm trying to strike a balance between cost of ownership versus a sailing club membership, so that means finding something <$20k (ideally closer to $10k) that I can recoup some of if this doesn't work out for us as a thing we really use. If all goes well, in a couple of years, we'll be in the market for a boat in the >$50k range.

I confess I haven't seriously looked at any multi-hull cruisers. I'll keep my eyes open for these boats going forward! Seems pretty awesome!

I have to say, I'm OK with the less intense/sporty aspects of cruising. The goal here is a more leisurely approach, and I can always take the cat back out for the sporty stuff later.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-08-2019

I know you mentioned that a Pearson 30 is probably out of your budget last time I brought it up, but you can get into a decent one that ready to sail for $10-15K. As you get used to it you can upgrade what you want later. It has a head, plenty of room for a family of 3 (I used to take my newborn daughter on overnights with us and she had tons of "accessories" my wife insisted we bring), good storarage, and has decent performance. It is a prolific boat and the Chesapeake has many of them. With a little patience I think you could find one you like.

The bonus from my point of view is you can use the boat for many years. Even as you become more experienced with cruising. And, if you decide to race, you can do that too. All of this without having to buy another boat in a few years. I am quite partial to them as the P30 was my first keelboat and I would still have it today if I did not move inland. We had five great years with her.

Nick

1986 O'Day 222
1974 Pearson 30 (previous)
post #18 of 23 Old 08-08-2019 Thread Starter

I'll look more closely, but my original spot-checks suggested Pearsons in the ~$20k range were also 45+ years old. There are a few Pearson 27s which are newer (1980s) and under 20k...interestingly, they look like they've even got hand-held showers in the head! Most of the <40 year old Pearsons are 31's and $30k+. Definitely a boat I would consider for our second round.

EDIT: I should have noted that you said your P30 was a '74. How much had been done to the boat when you got it and how much did you have to put into it to keep it going? One of the issues for my wife is a general preference for cosmetically nice things, often without any understanding (and therefore appreciation) of the functional aspects.

Last edited by s_ruffner; 08-08-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: addendum
post #19 of 23 Old 08-09-2019

Purchase price is only a small part of the equation. Moorage and storage fees are based on length and sometimes beam. Insurance is more on a bigger boat. Bigger boats have more and bigger systems. Bigger anchors, bigger sails, bigger lines, more bottom paint etc.

The difference in cost of ownership between 27 and 30 ft probably isn't that big of a deal, but it may be in the neighborhood of %15 higher for a 30 vs a 27, assuming the plan is to keep it in a slip.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-09-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-09-2019

Quote:
Those are neat boats! They're also quite a bit more expensive than I'm looking for right now. I'm trying to strike a balance between cost of ownership versus a sailing club membership, so that means finding something <$20k (ideally closer to $10k) that I can recoup some of if this doesn't work out for us as a thing we really use. If all goes well, in a couple of years, we'll be in the market for a boat in the >$50k range.

I confess I haven't seriously looked at any multi-hull cruisers. I'll keep my eyes open for these boats going forward! Seems pretty awesome!

I have to say, I'm OK with the less intense/sporty aspects of cruising. The goal here is a more leisurely approach, and I can always take the cat back out for the sporty stuff later.
Stiletto 27. I've cruised one up to 600 miles and 2 weeks, stopping in motels every few days for a shower. It is faster than a Hobie and quite capable of sailing the Chesapeake from end to end (and indeed, we went around the Delmarva several times--there is a book about that in my blog).

I've also owned cruising cats and F-boats. They are nice, but more money. But the Stiletto offers the most speed/$ you can get. Perfect for the ex-beach cat sailor. There is a bunch about them on my blog, listed below. You should be able to find one for $10-$12K.

Sail Delmarva: Short Summer?s Cruise

Note. the motor is down to slow the boat for the photographer. The boat will motor at 12 knots and sail past 20 knots, though the low teens is more normal.]
s_ruffner likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 08-09-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in