O'Day Mariner vs. South Coast 22 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

O'Day Mariner vs. South Coast 22

Hi everyone--We are relatively new to sailing and have owned a 1971 South Coast 22 for the last two summers. It's sturdy and forgiving of a lot of newbie mistakes and is moored on the lake down the street (which is fantastically convenient). My goal when I bought it, however, was to be able to trailer it to sail in other areas and have found stepping and unstepping the mast to be a total pain in the butt--less so with a gin pole, but still a lot of work.

We are thinking about a different boat that will allow us to sail on other lakes i.e. Moosehead Lake in Maine or inshore coastal waters to gunkhole among the islands. Would an O'Day Mariner mast be easier to step and unstep? Other things to consider? I suspect the Mariner would be more tender, but have not sailed one. Thanks for your insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: O'Day Mariner vs. South Coast 22

I sailed a Mariner for 10 years on Lake St-Louis, Montreal. It's a fun boat. It's either an agile small sailboat or a forgiving big dinghy, depending on your sailing style.

I hope this helps:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-...abilities.html

Also, usmariner.org is an excellent resource. It's only $15/year but it saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Mast stepping is easy on the Mariner, even single-handed. On the trailer, point the boat into the wind, rig up a gin pole at the bottom of the mast, run the jib halyard through the gin pole to the trailer's winch, crank the winch to pull up the mast. Make sure the shroud and backstay turnbuckles don't twist as the mast climbs up. Final step is to attach the forestay.

When the mast is down I leave the backstay and shrouds attached to their chainplates.

For transportation on the trailer and to simplify mast (un)stepping, my father built an extendable mast support that fits onto the rudder gudgeons. I doubt he spent more than $30 in lumber and hardware. Lower the support to hold the mast while towing, raise to (un)step the mast.

I have a blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Re: O'Day Mariner vs. South Coast 22

Thanks Degas.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in