Just bought my first sailboat! 1980 Cascade 27’ - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hello all! My name is Jeff. I just wanted to introduce myself to the group here. I’ve been looking for many months and finally purchased a boat that just fits. I sail in the Puget Sound and will be exploring up through the San Juan’s. I wish to explore further eventually. British Columbia, Alaska perhaps. I would love any thoughts, experiences or opinions on the 27’ Cascade made in the Pacific Northwest. Would this be a boat I could one day sail say to Alaska or further on? It doesn’t have some of the blue water specs like the mast going all the way down to the keel but curious anyone’s opinions on this. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
119FFE98-C3DC-4F70-B3C2-86B0673650C7_1567355052553.jpeg   48B4F704-F0BC-45D9-A028-0FA3034D9BB0_1567355066781.jpeg   7AF20076-D08C-4442-B066-6B3EB5D1146C_1567355079084.jpeg   68EC7C36-E425-4126-9AF2-29C3E1A5C6E1_1567355111515.jpeg   A10A1930-C7B2-48FF-ABE8-379841888EE7_1567355127064.png  

SanderO and cherylchecheryl like this.

Last edited by VAUGHN3; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Just bought my first sailboat! 1980 Cascade 27’

Congratulations! These are good boats but the outboard motor on the outside might be a limiting factor for offshore use in bad weather. Still, great voyages were done in lesser boats.
chef2sail likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Congratulations! These are good boats but the outboard motor on the outside might be a limiting factor for offshore use in bad weather. Still, great voyages were done in lesser boats.
. Thanks for the reply! The outboard is just an extra. It’s got a 13 hp Yanmar diesel inboard.

post #4 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Deck stepped masts work just fine. Some noted bluewater boats like the Westsail 32 are deck stepped. Keel stepped masts only real advantage is they can have slightly lesser scantlings which primarily benefits racers looking for the ultimate in weight savings. Keel stepped masts are also a PITA sealing the deck where the mast goes through especially if the sail track is extruded into the mast.

Really question the sanity of someone who'd put a wheel on a 27' boat. Cascades were mostly owner finished so construction quality varies. The hulls and decks were well done, it's just the rest of it that can make a difference. Most of that will be in owner quirks in layout but they could also have cut corners where it counts.
post #5 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Congrats and welcome aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #6 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Do you plan to get rid of the outboard? I fail to see it's benefit.
post #7 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Congratulations. Looks like a sweet lil boat. Only question I have is why are you pondering going north (Alaska) into colder and rougher weather when the same boat can take you south to paradise? lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Deck stepped masts work just fine. Some noted bluewater boats like the Westsail 32 are deck stepped. Keel stepped masts only real advantage is they can have slightly lesser scantlings which primarily benefits racers looking for the ultimate in weight savings. Keel stepped masts are also a PITA sealing the deck where the mast goes through especially if the sail track is extruded into the mast.

Really question the sanity of someone who'd put a wheel on a 27' boat. Cascades were mostly owner finished so construction quality varies. The hulls and decks were well done, it's just the rest of it that can make a difference. Most of that will be in owner quirks in layout but they could also have cut corners where it counts.
Thank you for the reply! I love that wheel. All the boats I tested that size have a tiller and coming from growing up driving ski boats I couldn’t get used to nor did I like the feel of a tiller. So when this came along I was pretty thrilled to see one on a 27’ boat. So would you say this would be something that could be blue water worthy. What I’m hearing is the Cascades are well built and this one in particular has been well taken care of.
post #9 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I love the way you think. I would love to sail this to Hawaii and then on one day. I just thought Alaska was an easier sail as it seems I hear of PNW sailers heading north but not many South. Would you say this boat is worthy of the task? Say Hawaii and then onward.
post #10 of 15 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAUGHN3 View Post
I love the way you think. I would love to sail this to Hawaii and then on one day. I just thought Alaska was an easier sail as it seems I hear of PNW sailers heading north but not many South. Would you say this boat is worthy of the task? Say Hawaii and then onward.
It has been said that an old lady in a bath tub can make the trip from California to Hawaii and never even have to carry a GPS or navigate at all. Every twenty minutes there is a plane flying from the US to Hawaii, so all one must do is follow their path.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in