Hi from Seattle - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By tanfo
  • 1 Post By fune31
  • 1 Post By TimMarks
  • 1 Post By tanfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hi from Seattle

Hi folks,
Just passed my ASA101, I'm super excited to start in this new passion. Already have ASA103 scheduled.

Looking for ways to spend time learning on the water, want to get into racing, and thinking about joining a sailing club.

I don't know enough to ask any questions, I'm just here to read and absorb the collective knowledge of the folks here.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanfo View Post
Hi folks,
Just passed my ASA101, I'm super excited to start in this new passion. Already have ASA103 scheduled.

Looking for ways to spend time learning on the water, want to get into racing, and thinking about joining a sailing club.

I don't know enough to ask any questions, I'm just here to read and absorb the collective knowledge of the folks here.
Welcome Tanfo. Good luck with your sailing adventures and enjoy. You don't say in which part of the world you reside. There are so many different ways to get sailing opportunities. I did a week-long Cruise and Learn vacation, in which I chartered a boat for a week, and paid the extra amount to have a live aboard sailing instructor. Mine was under the Canadian Sailing Association (CSA), but was the equivalent of a
ASA101, 103 and 104.
I have since done a couple of charters on a variety of different sized boats.
post #3 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Hi from Seattle

Welcome

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dock

Welcome! You're on the right track! The best way to learn to sail is to sail, so go sailing!
post #5 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Welcome.

You should look into the Seattle Sailing Club to gain experience. The quality of the instruction there is great. You'll have the ability to sail many different types of boats and interact with many experienced people.
Whalerus likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Welcome aboard! I am nearby, sailing out of Port Hadlock.

There are always people looking for crew, as long as you are reliable about showing up each week, you will be sought after. Check with the local yacht clubs and see if they have online (or physical) bulletin boards you can post your contact info at.

There are a number of local sailing clubs that you can join and get out on the water; not cheap, but still much cheaper than owning a boat.
Whalerus likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I am taking classes with the Seattle Sailing Club. Theyíve been pretty great, and Iím really excited about my next class. Once I have the certs to ďcheck outĒ a boat, I plan to sign up for a membership there.

Per my ASA101 instructorís suggestion, I reached out to the Sloop Tavern Yacht Club about crewing in their races, but havenít heard back yet. They seem like a club that is exactly my speed - hopefully I can get connected with a team there.

And it looks like I might have a lead on a friend-of-a-friend that races, working on that this week...
Whalerus likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I am new joining

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in