SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hi from Seattle

827 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  deepaksh 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
Just passed my ASA101, I'm super excited to start in this new passion. Already have ASA103 scheduled.

Looking for ways to spend time learning on the water, want to get into racing, and thinking about joining a sailing club.

I don't know enough to ask any questions, I'm just here to read and absorb the collective knowledge of the folks here.

#2 ·
Welcome Tanfo. Good luck with your sailing adventures and enjoy. You don't say in which part of the world you reside. There are so many different ways to get sailing opportunities. I did a week-long Cruise and Learn vacation, in which I chartered a boat for a week, and paid the extra amount to have a live aboard sailing instructor. Mine was under the Canadian Sailing Association (CSA), but was the equivalent of a
ASA101, 103 and 104.
I have since done a couple of charters on a variety of different sized boats.

#6 ·
Welcome aboard! I am nearby, sailing out of Port Hadlock.

There are always people looking for crew, as long as you are reliable about showing up each week, you will be sought after. Check with the local yacht clubs and see if they have online (or physical) bulletin boards you can post your contact info at.

There are a number of local sailing clubs that you can join and get out on the water; not cheap, but still much cheaper than owning a boat.

#7 ·
I am taking classes with the Seattle Sailing Club. They’ve been pretty great, and I’m really excited about my next class. Once I have the certs to “check out” a boat, I plan to sign up for a membership there.

Per my ASA101 instructor’s suggestion, I reached out to the Sloop Tavern Yacht Club about crewing in their races, but haven’t heard back yet. They seem like a club that is exactly my speed - hopefully I can get connected with a team there.

And it looks like I might have a lead on a friend-of-a-friend that races, working on that this week...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.