New here! - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

7Likes
  • 5 Post By DDouglas1
  • 1 Post By hnash53
  • 1 Post By DDouglas1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

New here!

Hello all!,
Just joined and am enjoying it so far!
Background on me is that I own a Catalina 25 swing keel which I'd used in Kerr Lake near the Va./N.Carolina border a few years after purchasing her there.
I have since found a trailer for her and she now sits well inland North West of Richmond Virginia awaiting transport to the Deltaville, Va. area as soon as I come up with a tow vehicle! Until then I've been making ungodly plans to take her around the world if only in mind as sailors sometimes do when their boats are on the hard.
My sailing adventures began with a friend quite a long time ago in the 80's on Biscayne Bay near Miami in small 15-16' day sailors such as a Bandit 16' and a Great Pelican, both of whom belonged to my friend, and various other canoes and what-not.
Later, in the 90's through and into the 20teens, I sailed with my Brother-in-law on his various similar small day sailors until he graduated to a 30' McCurdy&Rhodes Seafarer.
I finally got my own boat but it had to be trailerable yet able to do coastal cruises.
I found a great deal on one which had only been used minimally on a fresh water lake and was as though off the factory floor inside and out with fresh sails purchased by the previous owner and only 6mos old.
That's pretty much it for me on the sailing front but hope to find camaraderie, info and constant inspiration to simply sail my boat from others here.

Richmond, Va
Catalina 25 Swing Keel on a trailer
Sailing the Chesapeake from Deltaville, Va.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: New here!

Welcome to Sailnet ! ! !

Sounds like you're set to go with a nice boat!
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

Welcome.
Seems you plan to take your pristine fresh water boat and plop her into the most corrosive environment on the planet; salt water. Are you sure you don't want to rethink that a second? lol
Have fun exploring and adventuring on your coastal exploits.
Don't most of the rental car agencies rent trucks these days? Perhaps you could rent one for a couple of days and get going on your 'ungodly plans to take her around the world'?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:00 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Rental Car Companies most likely have a provision against towing a trailer. Maybe Penske or U-Haul truck would work. Cat 25 can be towed with a HD 3/4 ton but it's hard on the tranny. One ton would be better choice especially if it's a Ford. GMC's suck.
post #5 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnash53 View Post
Welcome to Sailnet ! ! !

Sounds like you're set to go with a nice boat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Welcome.
Seems you plan to take your pristine fresh water boat and plop her into the most corrosive environment on the planet; salt water. Are you sure you don't want to rethink that a second? lol
Have fun exploring and adventuring on your coastal exploits.
Don't most of the rental car agencies rent trucks these days? Perhaps you could rent one for a couple of days and get going on your 'ungodly plans to take her around the world'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
Rental Car Companies most likely have a provision against towing a trailer. Maybe Penske or U-Haul truck would work. Cat 25 can be towed with a HD 3/4 ton but it's hard on the tranny. One ton would be better choice especially if it's a Ford. GMC's suck.
Thanks all!
Still figuring out how to post soooo. I've thought of renting but almost there with getting a 3/4 ton Suburban or something(Van?). She weighs 5500# including trailer.
I'm scouting locations in the mean time to keep in the water from April- June then Sept-Nov(KinsaleVa, DeltavilleVa, Rudee Inlet-VaBch.) between times will be spur of the moment jaunts over hill and dale for new scenery or whatever.

Richmond, Va
post #6 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Here she is! Lol. I'm proud of her anyway. ; )
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191020_181451158_1573957651900.jpg  

Richmond, Va
post #7 of 8 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Congrats! I am new here also & love reading all the stories! You have a good bit of sailing experience sounds like! UNLIKE US! So I saw your pic of your boat & she looks nice. Hope you get to put her in the water soon! Sorry if this is a silly question, please forgive me... I am very new to sailing...What is a swing keel?

Last edited by Stephanie Lyons Chavis; 1 Weeks Ago at 03:08 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Lyons Chavis View Post
Congrats! I am new here also & love reading all the stories! You have a good bit of sailing experience sounds like! UNLIKE US! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/ship-captain-smiley-emoticon.gif[/IMG] So I saw your pic of your boat & she looks nice. Hope you get to put her in the water soon! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/SailNet_Toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] Sorry if this is a silly question, please forgive me... I am very new to sailing...What is a swing keel?
No problem. Most larger sailboats have whats known as a "full keel", its what keeps the boat upright when under sail when the force of the wind is blowing on the sails. A keel is also what makes a boat move forward as the wind hits the sail. The only issue is that they extend several feet(3-7+) under the entire length of the boat which could be a problem when trying to sail in shallow(skinny) water. A swing keel swings up close to or sometimes into the hull of the boat allow you to "Gunkhole" (get way up inside a creek) for protection from the weather. Just look up "sailboat keel types" to get a full read. There are a few basic differences ie., Full, fin and swing.
Glad you're interested. Sounds like a boat in your future maybe? Lol.

Richmond, Va

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in