Newbee Sailor - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Post Newbee Sailor

Hey. My name is Stephanie. I am new here on this site as well as new to sailing! My husband & I have always been fascinated with boats & everything around the water in general. We are on the coast of South Carolina in Beaufort County. We are avid boaters and have thought about getting a sailboat many times. So the opportunity arose when one of our friends/neighbors decided to sell his sailboat. So here we are, newbee sailboat owners. We purchased a 1970 Dufour Arpege 30' with a little hurricane damage. We have watched TONS of YouTube videos & have put the sails up a few times. We are truly YouTube Sailors...as we have learned to sail only by watching YouTube! LOL We actually have even posted a couple sailing videos on our YouTube Channel "Salty Reflections" to share our new experience and to get some feedback. Right now while we are just learning to sail, it is difficult to get decent film footage, especially with the wind conditions but we will continue to share our adventure.
What advise would you give to a novice sailor with no previous sailing experience? I am looking forward to soaking up a lot of knowledge from you all!
Thanks in advance,
Stephanie & Oliver Chavis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Newbee Sailor

Hi Stephanie,

My advice it to go out and just have fun.

Sailing is not an easy thing to learn from a book or video because its a skill, not brain type knowledge. I can't teach you in a book to paint: "grasp the paint brush in your fingers by putting your index finger...." Crazy.

Same with sailing. Go out on sunny days and stuff around You'll pick up the basics easily.

Keep the smile as sailing works better with laughter

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Lyons Chavis View Post
Right now while we are just learning to sail, it is difficult to get decent film footage, especially with the wind conditions but we will continue to share our adventure.
Gaffer tape and shock cord are your freinds

Strap the camera down and hit record, let the camera move with the boat while you focus on sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
20191118_083507.jpg  

Last edited by Arcb; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:37 AM.

post #4 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Get the boat out in light winds... 10 knots is ideal.... motor slowly into the wind...hoist the main... loosen the topping lift, grab the main sheet and fall off thew wind a bit and the boat should heel and off you go. Out the motor in neutral and watch your telltales on the main's leech... you want them streaming straight aft. Fall off and ease the main as you do keeping the tell tales streaming.

Next hoist or unfurl the head sail... trim it in again having the tell tales streaming aft. You're sailing! Keep both sails telltales streaming aft. Try different points of sail all the way to a beam reach... try both tacks.

When you feel comfortable sailing up wind to a beam reach... try the down wind points of sail where the wind is pushing the sails.

Next time consider sailing in a bit more wind.

You'll learn from doing!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #5 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

Welcome aboard!

-Be cautious with the weather, challenge yourselves gradually. "Fair weather does not a sailor make." But then the sea can be unforgiving.
-The value of professional training, and experience on other boats cannot be understated. You can learn a lot on your own, which will enhance what you learn from others.
-Your boat will teach you all about boats. Just remember; she will do it at her pace, not yours.
-Go sailing!
post #6 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

You will learn. I bought a 36' sailboat after only a few weekends aboard a friend's boat and a one week sailing course. I took it slow and fully immersed myself in everything about the boat including equipping it. I sailed single and short handed for 34 years... including offshore passages! Phil is correct about the weather. Watch the forecasts and work your way up to higher wind speeds... forces are greater and things happen faster. Before you know it sailing will be second nature.

post #7 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hey, sounds great! As I understand, Dufour is a good boat.
Truthfully, take a few sailing lessons if you can to get the basics down and try to go out in rough weather during those lessons if at all possible. Then try to see if the sailing coach would go out with you and your husband on your boat a few times during good and not so good weather. Don't rely on one single instructor either.
This will build confidence.
Then take it out on your own while being in contact with an instructor should you have an issue.
Short jaunts: Out, sail, anchor, sail, dock. Do this all day and then anchor out overnight.
Lol. Just total immersion after that as free time allows.
PFD's!
Practice man over board by tossing a throwable pfd in the drink and retrieving. Pretty difficult the first few times.
Then single handing man over board with a throwable.
My brother in law and i do real man overboard practice in warm weather.
Yep, one jumps in!
Have fun and beeeee safe!

Richmond, Va
Catalina 25 Swing Keel on a trailer
Sailing the Chesapeake from Deltaville, Va.
post #8 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

It's certainly possible to teach yourself, but by taking a class, you'll learn all the basic skills that will make you successful sooner. You'll learn the nomenclature of sailboats, sail trim, knot tying, basic aerodynamics, and, perhaps more importantly, you'll be able to ask questions of a knowledgeable sailor. The course doesn't have to be expensive. Good basic sailing courses are taught by YMCA's, Power Squadrons, Coast Guard Auxiliaries, community colleges and others, and the costs of those courses are nominal.
SanderO likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Basic sailing course on the water is very valuable.... mine covered lots of skills include jargon, knots, weather, sail trim and a little navigation. Highly recommended.

post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I watched your 15 November video on youtube. You guys seem to be doing fine! Your husband's voice makes me feel like I should have a cold beer in my hand (I've had drinking buddies from that area).

Do you have a whisker pole? If so, you can sail dead downwind by putting the main on one side and the headsail on the other side, held out by the whisker pole. Look up "wing on wing" on youtube.

Tags
2 cylinder volvo , new boat owner , newbee advice , vintage boat , youtube

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in