SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New boat owner, Hey there! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/332014-new-boat-owner-hey-there.html)

Ashton Chaplin 11-29-2019 12:42 PM

New boat owner, Hey there!

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings ladies and gentalmen. my name is ashton. im new to owning my own sailboat. so i bought this boat off a guy and he died before i could obtain the info needed to identify a make or model. im stuggling. please help!!!

MarkofSeaLife 11-29-2019 12:54 PM

Re: New boat owner, Hey there!

No idea, but people here will know :)

Barquito 11-29-2019 01:45 PM

Do you have any pictures that show the stern and deck a bit better?

boatpoker 11-29-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashton Chaplin (Post 2051638824)
Greetings ladies and gentalmen. my name is ashton. im new to owning my own sailboat. so i bought this boat off a guy and he died before i could obtain the info needed to identify a make or model. im stuggling. please help!!!

No deed, title, state registration, documentation, bill of sale ?
How on earth will you prove you own this boat ?

Impossible to tell from this photo but something says to me that it kinda looks like it might be aluminum

Ashton Chaplin 11-29-2019 07:02 PM

ive been doing payments to the guy who passed on. usually only receiving a receipt. So now ill be continuing payments to his son. Who's a good friend of mine. Im sure he'll have it figured out once the final payment is complete. And its fiberglass btw. I just want to know for my own sake.

Ashton Chaplin 11-29-2019 07:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I dont have much but maybe this could help.

HUGOSALT 11-30-2019 11:46 PM

Am I the only one? says "attached thumbnails" but nothing else there.
Oh well, I am horrible at ID ing boats anyway.
Much luck to you Ashton, sure the crew will ID, and welcome aboard Sailnet.

HUGOSALT 12-01-2019 12:01 AM

Now I can see pics, but still horrible at ID ing boats.
Any letters/numbers imprinted in the gelcoat of the transom?

Could this be a one off build/ home finish?
interior wood working/cabinets...
rudder...
cabin top lines...

chicory83 12-01-2019 12:56 AM

The lack of a state registration number on the bow would seem to indicate that this is a documented vessel. If so there should be a USCG documentation plaque with the documentation number somewhere in the boat. You can use it to get an abstract of title for the boat. As noted above, it is also common for the HIN to be impressed into the fiberglass of the boat's transom. As with the VIN for a car, you can determine the manufacturer from the HIN.

SHNOOL 12-01-2019 09:06 AM

Thought it was a kit built Thunderbird class boat (size is about right). But the shape (especially the hull) are wrong.
Looking at your lower half not sure about that one. Looks like an outboard motor well (I'm not a huge fan of those, but others are).

Is the build fiberglass? Rather is it glass over plywood? The hull shape would be tough as a home-built, but it sure looks like one.

Just thumbed through some Glen-L designs to see if I could spot it, but didn't see anything close.

First thing I'd evaluate is that rudder. Shape doesn't look even close to efficient.