SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Beginner

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hawgdawg 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone! I own a MacGregor 26x and found out I am in love with sailing! I want to learn as much as possible.

#5 ·
Welcome aboard! Fair warning: Sailing is highly addictive, once seawater gets into your veins - you'll never be the same again! As Minnewaska wrote above, tell us a little about yourself. Are you European or North American? Retired or working? Let me start. I first started sailing on an eight foot el Toro when I was in my teens. Bought my first "big boat", a Catalina 22, in my twenties and now own a 34 footer in San Francisco Bay. I daysail, race and cruise all over the place. Don't be shy about asking questions and the like. After actually sailing, talking about sailing is the next best thing.

#6 ·
Welcome to the asylum...

People are passionate (both ways) about the Macgregor 26x.

#8 ·
There are no bad boats, and there is no bad way to start.

Glad to have you here.
I thought it was great for George to give his quick route to how he got where he is sailing... I'll do the same.
Was a baby when I was on Dad's Oday daysailor in the 70s.
Owned my first boat (a Sea Snark 11 foot styrofoam boat) when I was 11.
Bought my first "adult" boat when I was 28, a Catalina Capri 14.2
When I turned 38 I bought a Catalina Capri 22.. I loved it so much I got the need for speed.
When I turned 40, I bought a Catalina Capri 25, decked it out, and went all the way to 3rd place for the season for our local fleet.
When I turned 42, I bought an S2 7.9 and the following year I went all the way to 2nd place for our local fleet, matching first place nearly point for point we closed the season closer than the club had seen in 20 years.
When I turned 44 I bought a Schock Wavelength 24, because it was such a cool boat. I was going to get something bigger, but each time plans fell through. MY next 3 years sailing the Wavelength I enjoyed greatly, and wound up winning the club race season in 2017.

Last year I sold my Wavelength to two guys I know will race the bottom off the boat. They have no idea what they just bought.

I then purchased a C&C 32, and have been learning what its like to sail a cruiser/racer.

I've also taken 2 trips to the BVIs, first skippering a 39 foot Catamaran with 5 others, then second time sailing with my wife only on a 35 foot Beneteau shortly after the hurricanes ripped through (we had 25+ knot winds sustained the whole 11 days there, and it was a blast).

Adventures build over the years and I strongly recommend joining a club, if for only to meet many others with the sailing passion. It is amazing how many walks of life you come across that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.