HI new member here - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By nikkiscy
  • 1 Post By HUGOSALT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2020 Thread Starter

HI new member here

hi community, new member here, just joined to learn new things , thinking to start lessons and hopefully I buy my own boat for sailing ...since I was a kid I wanted a boat but never managed to have ...
MarkofSeaLife and ThereYouAre like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2020

Dock
Re: HI new member here

Welcome aboard!
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2020

Welcome aboard, now grab an oar and help row.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2020

Yes! Welcome aboard. ...and if you don't have an oar, I'll lend you one
as I have been accused of only having one oar in the water for years!
Skipper Jer likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2020
Master Mariner

Welcome.
My suggestion would be to buy a 15 foot or smaller very cheap dinghy that's pretty beat up, but serviceable. This is not going to be a boat to take your friends out on, but instead you will be crashing into docks, running aground and even tipping her over on occasion. This is the boat to make all your beginner's mistakes on, before you buy a nicer, more expensive boat. And believe me, if you start with the more expensive boat, you are still going to make all the same mistakes, classes or not, but the repair bills will be much more expensive, and if you load the boat up with friends, there is the possibility of someone getting hurt.
This is how almost every professional sailor of note learned to sail, not through some expensive cookie cutter course.
Along with your little beater, I would highly recommend a great little book called Royce's Sailing Illustrated, a fun yet very comprehensive book filled with important information for the novice sailor or experienced professional. No massive preachy tome this, just a well put together book with everything from rigging, docking and even splicing. I've been using it to teach sailing for over 45 years, and still refer to it now and then, myself.
Good luck and remember, sailing is supposed to be fun, so keep that in mind when you are having a hard day.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2020

You will have fun learning how to sail. It isn't that hard, just takes practice....and then, as the boats get bigger, with more complex systems, there is always the challenge to keep it all working, all at the same time. Best to keep a simple boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in