Just acquired an early Star. Totally green to sailing. - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Jeff_H
  • 1 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By capecodda

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2020 Thread Starter

Just acquired an early Star. Totally green to sailing.

I have been into vintage boats and outboards and accidentally stepped onto a vintage Star sail boat. I am totally green when it comes to sailing but I am excited to learn to get this classic back on the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2020

Re: Just acquired an early Star. Totally green to sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbwor View Post
I have been into vintage boats and outboards and accidentally stepped onto a vintage Star sail boat. I am totally green when it comes to sailing but I am excited to learn to get this classic back on the water.
Which Star sailboat do you have? What is the length? Can you post a photo?

And... Welcome to Sailnet!!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2020

Are you planning on racing her? There are some pretty big one design Star fleets around some places.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2020 Thread Starter

#960 1933 build It is in the rebuild stage. Should be at my house in about 2 weeks to start the work.
Attached Thumbnails
20200109_202240_1578791176849.jpg  
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2020

That will be a fun boat to learn to sail on. Much better learning experience than on some big, clunky, cruising sailboat.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2020
Administrator

Stars are really great boats to sail but they require a lot of skill and a lot of crew weight to sail safely. With all due respect to the posters above, Stars are lightly built and so are a little fragile. The rigs are especially vulnerable. They are not self bailing or self rescuing. They have a huge sailplan for their stability and can be swamped or on an older boat without buoyancy tanks can be sunk. On that basis I suggest that an old Star would make a pretty poor platform to learn to sail on.

Typically the wooden Stars had very light scantlings and so required a lot of precision to build and rebuild.

A glass Star would be easier to restore but these later Stars tend to have fragile rigs and running backstays.

Due to their long history as an Olympic class, the modern Stars are extremely sophisticated. So much so that you really can't race a wooden Star against a modern Star and keep up with the fleet. There are 'legacy' fleets that race wooden Stars against each other but those fleets are even less common that the comparatively rare modern Star fleets.

But, if you are intent on restoring the Star, I can try to put you in touch with a fellow who is restoring one in Annapolis, and who is an extremely skilled sailor and boat builder.

Respectfully
Jeff
capecodda and capta like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-12-2020 at 10:00 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-12-2020
Master Mariner

I raced a Star on Frisco Bay early in my career and found it to be one of the most complicated and difficult small sailboats to sail. Certainly not a day sailor to take your friends out on for a few hours.
However, for many who enjoy rebuilding (or building for that matter) boats, the fun comes from the work, not so much the sailing afterwards. At any rate, wherever you derive your enjoyment, it is going to be a learning experience.
capecodda likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 8 Old 01-12-2020

^^^great guidance. Also raced one in my youth. Remember some sort if sliding thing for the runners, and a ton of strings to tweak.

It will be fun, challenging, and when you figure it out you'll be a very good sailor.

Best of luck.
capta likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in