Back on the site after many years - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Back on the site after many years

Hi,

I used to be on this site and life kind of got in the way. Now that my kids are in college, I'm able to focus a bit more on this. We have been sailing a catamaran in Long Island Sound (out of Connecticut) and will be moving the boat down to our second home in Florida this fall as I split time between CT and FL. We will be keeping it in St. Augustine. While I have done some ocean sailing and a lot of coastal cruising, I am really looking forward to this trip but also realize it is a lot to take on.

Weather permitting, my plan is to take the ocean route from NY harbor straight to St. Augustine. Obviously, and especially that time of year, the weather permitting comment rules! If anyone has any suggestions on things I should consider, I am all ears!

I have been sailing for over 40 years (mostly in LIS), have a coast guard captains license and have done a lot of cruising and a modest amount of racing (on monohulls).

I look forward to be reconnected with the sailnet community!

Best,

PV Sailor
chall03 and Arcb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock
Re: Back on the site after many years

Welcome back!
zeehag likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
PV Sailor (3 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I think you should keep in mind that you will be sailing (motoring?) directly into the Gulfstream for most of that voyage which could add considerable time to the trip. There is, at times, a counter-current that runs near shore for much of the trip, though how comfortable you will be hugging the coast, especially at night, is something you'll have to work out. Brush up on the ColRegs and night lights if you are running at night because you could run into a lot of traffic, from fishing boats to cruise ships and everything in between, on that run.
If possible (depends on mast height) I would go into the ICW and not round Cape Hatteras, no matter the weather forecast.
bristol299bob likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks. I will definitely consider those things. Appreciate the advice.
post #5 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Freedom isn't free

Dock

At the very least welcome back.
Always good traveling in numbers and the inside route is generally favored.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:
PV Sailor (3 Weeks Ago)
post #6 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks, I guess I need to think through whether I want to go the ocean route a bit more. Thanks again.
post #7 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

There are lots of resources for getting data on the Gulf Stream. I like windy.com for visualizing the gulf stream https://www.windy.com/-Show---add-mo...38,6,m:ezyaeeO

Also consider that in the fall, the prevailing winds are switching to the north, making the gulf stream potentially dangerous. I use pilot charts to get an idea of the wind conditions to expect: https://www.offshoreblue.com/navigat...lot-charts.php

You can definitely play the counter currents that set up between the Gulf Stream and the beach for most of your trip (NJ coast, SC & GA coast, etc). But the stream comes awfully close to the beach around Hatteras. To me, southbound around Hatteras seems like a big risk. I've been around Hatteras a number of times northbound (keeping well east of the shoals and riding the gulf stream) but never southbound. I'd think long and hard before going around Hatteras southbound, west of the stream.

of course southbound, east of the stream, is an option for you if you are up for an adventure. You'd cross the stream twice but again your timing makes that route challenging as well, especially later in fall as the storms and nor' easters begin setting up. I'd think that this route would be a better option in summer/late summer than fall.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #8 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dock

St Augustine is pretty easy as the Gulf Stream stays off the coast as the coast moves west from Hatteras.

You have the choice of going around Hatteras or clipping it by going the icw from Norfolk to Beaufort NC. Then if the weather six you can go down the icw at 50 nms per long day... Or outside at 120 nms per day.

I'm the icw takes a long time.

Nice to stop off in Charleston and Savannah but both of these are a bit off the coast. Savannah is 18 miles up a river.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #9 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Would do
LIS, hellgate, East River, highlands
Cape May Norfolk or Hampton
Norfolk oriental
Oriental ft pierce
Home port

Agree the ditch is tedious in the extreme. Very slow as you need to stop at night. You’re not draft restricted being on a cat but you make no mention of your air draft. We are 6.5’ deep and 64’ high. ICW is a PIA. I did Norfolk to Oriental in winter. ICW sucks. It was cold and rained every day at least once.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 11 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Air draft to high for the 65’ bridges?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in