Captain on the hard - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Davie J.

Captain on the hard

Hello. First time posting on this site and am lookng for some suggestions. I am a blue-water sailor with a 100 ton license and am looking for a new boat in the 32'-34' range. I need something that is rugged, cutter rigged and able to do a circumnavigation. I have been accustomed to larger boats in the 40' range, but I will be solo sailing and, as I get older, a smaller boat is becoming more attractive. I have never looked for boats in this range and need some suggestions from those of you who are familiar with them. Please let me know what you would buy and why you would buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 2 Days Ago

Re: Captain on the hard

Nor'sea 27. Perfect boat for you. And there are a few for sale to boot. Nice thing about this boat is it is 8 feet wide so it fits on a trailer that can be towed to new sailing grounds. Several have circumnavigated and many have crossed oceans. They come in two versions, aft cabin and aft cockpit.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #3 of 6 Old 1 Day Ago
Master Mariner

Solo circumnavigation? John Hanna Tahiti ketch. With the two head sails, sail her like a cutter, as we do our ketch most of the time, then use the mizzen when you want and extra knot of speed, or to set a mizzen staysail. Outboard rudder allows for a trim tab vane gear, which is the simplest and very best self steering system ever developed. The mizzen is also good for securing sun awnings in the tropics and attaching antennas to.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 6 Old 7 Hours Ago

You don’t say anything about your location or price range.

If you are on a budget you might consider a steel boat. Trevor Robertsons Iron Bark II sold quickly last year. Hard to beat the reputation. It was a Wylo.

Iron Bark's travels

I like Ted Brewers work, there are a couple of dozen Murray 33’s around, usually one or two for sale. I have one and like it a great deal. Very roomy for a 33’er.

https://www.tedbrewer.com/sail_steel/murray33.htm

If you have a very restricted budget then there is a steel tahinti for sale in Newfoundland, Canada. I know a bit about the boat but it would take a few minutes to dig up a listing. It’s a good value for something like $16,000 US. But surely not for everyone, a one person boat.

Then there is the Alan Pape Ebbtide, another true go anywhere boat.

Some general listings.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...de-33-3245010/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...Material=steel

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #5 of 6 Old 5 Hours Ago Thread Starter
Davie J.

I'm currently in Jacksonville, FL, having recently moved here for the tax breaks. I wouldn't want to pay more than $40,000 to $50,000 for a 30' to 33' boat, depending on the condition of the boat and the equipment that comes with it. Even then, it would have to be quite a boat for me to pay that much. I'm not partial to steel boats, even though they're rugged. I have had experience with one and electrolysis was a significant problem. I want a boat that I can put a wind vane on the stern, a functional dodger and bimini and a crane for my dinghy motor. And, I don't want to spend all my port time varnishing. Been there. Done that.
post #6 of 6 Old 1 Hour Ago

You can take my opinion and anyone else's for that matter along with 5 bucks and go to a Starbucks and get a cup of coffee...
While you're there you might want to take a look at this:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...orien-3010914/
If I were considering a criteria as the one that you are proposing ( I'm not... too old and too fat )something like this might fill the bill. Not quite in the size range that you are suggesting but you will definitely have to make compromises along the way. Although as a "Blue Water Sailor" I suspect that you are already aware of this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in