RYA/MCA Yachtmaster new to SailNet - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-08-2020 Thread Starter

RYA/MCA Yachtmaster new to SailNet

Hi All!
I just signed up and am excited to link with other members. i am an RYA Yachtmaster, have been sailing for 30 years starting as a dingy racer on Stony Lake in Ontario and next, moving to a Whitby 27 keel boat and 10 years ago to my current love, a beneteau Idyll 11.5.
I am now a profesional sailor retired from a mechanical engineering tech. career. It's been a great transition with many transferable skills. I have made deliveries from Pueto Rico to Rhode Island and recently, delivered the amazing 118' superyacht 'Yanneke Too' to her new home in Ontario.
Anyone needing deliveries or charter Captain, i would be happy to talk.
Happy sailing to All,
Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-08-2020

Re: RYA/MCA Yachtmaster new to SailNet

Think the yacht master is the only useful credential for sailors. Think having an US captain tells a prospective client nothing about your skill set given the absence of a practicum and the ability to self attest +/or have your best friend sign your forms.
Please PM me your resume.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 11 Old 02-08-2020 Thread Starter

Hey there Outbound,
i need to have 10 or so posts before the PM function is turned on for me as a new user. I am not sure how to get you the information until I satisfy that condition..
g

post #4 of 11 Old 02-08-2020
Master Mariner

Unfortunately, no matter what license an American may hold, it is very difficult these days to find a job aboard a yacht outside the US, perhaps deliveries excluded. I am consistently running into American owned motor and sailing mega-yachts crewed by every nationality except Americans. What gives? Why would any owner not want an experienced, qualified captain, crew member or chef aboard his vessel just because they are American? Sadly and quite simply, Americans are too litigious! We have a reputation of trying to get rich off a hangnail. Or because we are so stupid we put a "hot" cup of coffee between our legs while driving and then suing because the car hit a bump (duh) and the coffee spilled and they got burned! Hot coffee, ya think?
Doing deliveries isn't a bad way to get paid to sail, with no owner around and a good crew to work with, if one isn't a prima donna.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 11 Old 02-08-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Unfortunately, no matter what license an American may hold, it is very difficult these days to find a job aboard a yacht outside the US, perhaps deliveries excluded. I am consistently running into American owned motor and sailing mega-yachts crewed by every nationality except Americans. What gives? Why would any owner not want an experienced, qualified captain, crew member or chef aboard his vessel just because they are American? Sadly and quite simply, Americans are too litigious! We have a reputation of trying to get rich off a hangnail. Or because we are so stupid we put a "hot" cup of coffee between our legs while driving and then suing because the car hit a bump (duh) and the coffee spilled and they got burned! Hot coffee, ya think?
Doing deliveries isn't a bad way to get paid to sail, with no owner around and a good crew to work with, if one isn't a prima donna.
Most Americans are not going to work for $12.50/hr ($300/24hrs) to crew or captain somone else's yacht.

Also, it takes connections to get the experience, and build the reputation to have people contact you.

I have never advertised my delivery, instruction, or repair services on SailNet because I thought that it would be tacky to do so. I do state my qualifications in my signature, because it provides context to my posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #6 of 11 Old 02-08-2020
Learning the HARD way...

...Oh, and I have never sued, or been sued by anybody - so far.
Minnewaska likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #7 of 11 Old 02-08-2020

Doing 'business' in the usa can be precarious
Eyes wide open
post #8 of 11 Old 02-08-2020

I have my doubts that CanadianGerry is American

Welcome Gerry
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-08-2020
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Most Americans are not going to work for $12.50/hr ($300/24hrs) to crew or captain somone else's yacht.

Also, it takes connections to get the experience, and build the reputation to have people contact you.

I have never advertised my delivery, instruction, or repair services on SailNet because I thought that it would be tacky to do so. I do state my qualifications in my signature, because it provides context to my posts.
I've never actually broken down a six figure income with room, board and uniforms on top of the pay into an hourly wage, but most folks of any nationality would probably work for it, I should think.
Arcb likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 11 Old 02-08-2020 Thread Starter

Fellas,
I have worked in factories for thirty years, some with windows, some without. Either way, nothing beats messing around with boats. Wages are one thing, but doing what you love beats all, and I would be happy to never be indoors again. Thanks for the welcome Arcb.
g, from the north!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in