New to the Community - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-10-2020 Thread Starter

New to the Community

Hi everyone. My name is Sam and I am a new owner of a Pearson 34 which I will sail in and around Narragansett Bay.
PhilCarlson and ThereYouAre like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-10-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Welcome to SailNet.

What port in NB do you sail from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-10-2020
Master Mariner

Re: New to the Community

Welcome.
I would highly recommend that you install a set of Spurs on your prop shaft as, from my experience, the fishermen figure they own every single inch of that bay and the USCG can't be bothered to do their job and insure there are navigable channels without fishing buoys anywhere in the bay.
Enjoy your new boat and sailing there.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 13 Old 03-10-2020
Learning the HARD way...

I understand that the people that clean the bottom of vessels are not fans of spurs. I have never scrubbed the bottom of a vessel with one myself, and I scrub my bottom several times each summer.

I am not trying to refute the above post, but I have sailed and taught throughout Narragansett Bay for the past 10 years without a spur or line cutter on the prop of any of the vessels under my command. The situation with pot-proliferation is not as bad as it is in the Gulf of Maine (where I have also sailed and taught sailing - without a spur attached). Maintaining an attentive lookout is your best defense.

The only time that my boat has been snagged on the prop while in Narragansett Bay was this past August when my wife was at the helm. I was distracted with something, and she was at the helm as we were motoring. She had us headed directly into the sunset, when she guided the boat through a line of pots. We were outside the channel between Prudence and Patience. I retrieved the offending line and float with a boat hook, cut it, tied the float back on the line, and we were back on our way again in under 20 minutes.

I was sailing near the southern tip of Cuttyhunk in July when a pot (which must have been submerged because no one aboard saw it) became caught on the rudderpost between the rudder and the hull. I had just tacked when the boat stopped dead in the water. Looking under the hull, I noticed a line trailing us. A spur would not have helped us in this situation. Once again, I retrieved the line with a boat hook, cut us free, reattached the float (which was dragged under when I released it), and we resumed our journey.

You need to decide what is right for you.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #5 of 13 Old 03-10-2020
Master Mariner

I certainly don't have the experience there that you do, but when I was up there the fishermen tended to mark their pots with white plastic water or Clorox bottles, so any day there was chop on the water they were near invisible.
However, I cannot abide the total disrespect for others that it takes to crowd pot floats into the marked navigable channels as the Narragansett Bay fishermen do, and I do get a lot of pleasure when my Spurs do their job.
As for bottom cleaners not liking Spurs, it is the responsibility of the boat owner to inform any diver they hire that there are Spurs on the shaft and after that I see no reason to concern oneself with what the diver may do to themselves. Situational awareness is every bit as important under the water as it is on deck.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 13 Old 03-23-2020

Welcome to Sailnet Sam, hoping we have not scared you away.
Much good info here and as you can see some different opinions/way of seeing things,
which is generally good as one can decide for themselves what makes sense.

Great boat and great cruising grounds, Enjoy!
post #7 of 13 Old 03-23-2020 Thread Starter

Not scared in the least... I sincerely appreciate all of the ideas, comments and suggestions that my post has generated. I’ve actually made a replacement part now with some finished ply but to keep it from any moisture I’ve added a few pieces of channel PVC (used for framing PVC lattice I believe) so the Wood sits 1/4 inch off the deck. I also added holes for air circulation based on a calculation per sq ft of the holes in the pegboard. Time will tell how it performs and it’s durability. In any case I appreciate all the help and comments.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-24-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBEverett View Post
Not scared in the least... I’ve actually made a replacement part now with some finished ply but to keep it from any moisture I’ve added a few pieces of channel PVC (used for framing PVC lattice I believe) so the Wood sits 1/4 inch off the deck. I also added holes for air circulation based on a calculation per sq ft of the holes in the pegboard. ...
What was the part you made? We love hearing about DIY projects on here.

I'd ask you to post a photo, but I believe that photo posting is blocked for new members until they have posted a certain number of posts, to discourage spammers.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-24-2020 Thread Starter

It was a divider to replace the old pegboard divider installed between the engine compartment and the sail locker/lazerette.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-24-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
What port in N[arragansett] B[ay] do you sail from?
??

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in