SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pioneer 9 newby

462 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Barquito 
#1 ·
Hi thanks for the add to the forum
I am new to sailing but not new to boats
I have brought a Pioneer 9 I am trying to find out what year it is. Hull number 305333 also trying to find out any history of the boat. It's called Bel Air kept at Cowes Isle of Wight UK.

#2 ·
I'm guessing you have come across this discussion on another forum:

The Pioneer 9 has a great reputation, in 1971, Nicollete Milnes-Walker was the first woman to sail non-stop single handed across the Atlantic in her Pioneer 9 "Aziz".
This yacht is ideal for someone looking for a strongly built heavy displacement cruising yacht with good handling and attractive classic lines.

I have a friend who owned one, and we sailed on company (St Kilda) on one occasion.
A fairly early Van de Stadt design, so eminently seaworthy (2-way trans-Atlantic): tough and durable build quality: no manoeuvrability problems, a good performance in its time, but no match for modern lightweight skimmers. Tight accommodation.
Spade Rudder Too

A Van der Stadt design from early sixties she had a long keel but separate spade rudder. Designed as a cruiser racer she was quick enough in her day but rather pedestrian now. She was/is a reasonable sea boaty for her length but she does throw a lot of water back into the cockpit. The keyhole companionway, a VdS trade mark at the time, is a good safety feature but a pain for getting up and down the companionway steps. Narrow beam makes her quite tender initially and you'll find yourself sailing to windward at greater angles of heel that you might be used to in a modern boat - often with the lee deck awash. The beam also means the interior is narrow and cramped. Build quality by Tylers/SOuthern Ocean Shipyards was solid but the interior may be in need of considerable refurbishment simply through age.

As an owner, and having sailed one for 32 years now I think I am reasonably well qualified to comment. You will have read James' comments which while reasonable make comparison with boats significantly newer and more expensive. You are looking at boat that costs probably 1/3 of a Contessa 32 yet still keeps up with them. Yes a bit wet, but not that bad. Excellent seakeeper and you won't find yourself hurled around as you will in many newer designs. The performance is excellent in 10kts plus for a boat of about 24ft waterline length. You won't keep up with the lightweight fliers in light wind but that still leaves plenty of weather when you can make the handicap pay. Before knocking the interior volume check out other boats of a similar price, little compares. The heads may be a bit basic (although Cabellero is a very unusual but well apointed interior) but there is more to life than sitting on the toilet. The boat spins on a sixpence and with a decent Diesel will prove easily handled under power. Good sails well set will give others around you a shock as you go past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.