15 year lurker.. Finally did it! - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 03-27-2020 Thread Starter

15 year lurker.. Finally did it!

Hi all. I've lurked around on this forum for a good 15 years or so, but finally bit the bullet and just bought a boat.

Tis nothing special, a Grampian 26. I got it for $1,000. The past owner bought a larger boat and didn't want to pay the marina fees for two boats.

It's not in perfect shape, needs paint and a bit of sprucing up. Probably need to replace the bow fitting as the originals are known to crack and fail on these old Grampians. Owner says he replaced parts of the rigging, but the wire looks like it's a bit older, probably not original though.

I think I got a great deal. Came with a cradle, a working Honda 9.9 outboard, and it's got an OMC saildrive in it, probably not working but I'm decent with engines, can probably get it working, or maybe a diesel swap, or perhaps just take it out altogether next year and glass the hole.

Also came with sails, VHF, a new battery and a few other things. Haven't checked if the head works yet, but it looks like it does. Came with one anchor and some chain, really doubt it's enough to keep the boat from dragging - will be one of the first upgrades I do.

It's got a rusty / cracking keel joint but from what I can see the bolts are fine, it looks like normal flexing I've seen on most other older bolted keel boats.

Past owner is a nice guy, willing to help me learn and tell me about any of the flaws he's aware of on the boat.

Will be launching in early May when this whole COVID thing blows over. Will give the keel a good sanding, coat of rust converter then maybe epoxy barrier coat, then bottom paint. Will probably just buff the rest of the hull and wax it to see if it brightens up the original paint. Interior needs a good cleaning but otherwise looks fine. Anything else I should be wary of before launch?

I'm going to try to bring it to the Bluffers Park Marina (I live near Toronto) or one of the nearby YC's if they've got slips available, and the initial cost isn't too outrageous..!

After seeing how real estate prices have gotten in Canada (I lived in Tokyo for most of my twenties and early thirties) I'm thinking this will be my starter boat for a year or two, then I'll buy another boat 30-45 feet and live aboard, and exit the rat race. Even making 100K+ a year, I cannot afford housing in this country..!

Last edited by paradoxbox; 03-27-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-27-2020

Dock
Re: 15 year lurker.. Finally did it!

Congratulations!!

This must be a record Enjoy it.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 22 Old 03-27-2020

Where is the saildrive located? Many G26s came originally with outboard wells. If this was a later addition to the outboard well, might be able to restore. Just a thought.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-27-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Where is the saildrive located? Many G26s came originally with outboard wells. If this was a later addition to the outboard well, might be able to restore. Just a thought.
It's located where the inboard normally would be and the foot comes straight down through the hull as far as I can see. My boat has the outboard well with the Honda on it.

I was surprised when I saw the saildrive foot, didn't expect it to be there. The second owner never used it and never bothered looking into it. The first owner probably put it in sometime in the 70's or 80's.
Arcb likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-27-2020

If the Saildrive leg is not corroded I think that you should get it working. Many sailors, like myself, have very reliable and cheap to own OMC's.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-27-2020
Learning the HARD way...

Welcome to boat ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxbox View Post
It's got a rusty / cracking keel joint but from what I can see the bolts are fine, it looks like normal flexing I've seen on most other older bolted keel boats.
NORMAL FLEXING?!?

I am not familiar with a Grampian, so I looked here:https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/grampian-26. I can tell you that NO flexing of the keel is normal, or acceptable, in any fin keel boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #7 of 22 Old 03-27-2020 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Welcome to boat ownership.

NORMAL FLEXING?!?

I am not familiar with a Grampian, so I looked here:https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/grampian-26. I can tell you that NO flexing of the keel is normal, or acceptable, in any fin keel boat.
I've read about this happening to almost every keel boat, and a quick walk through any boat yard with boats out for the winter shows that many if not most older bolted iron keel boats have cracks at the joint where the keel meets the hull. It makes enough sense for me, I'm open to hearing from others though if it is an issue I should address immediately.

From what I understand, so long as the bolts are not corroded/rusted and the rust/gap is superficial it's something that can be epoxy coated and painted, the bolts tightened if necessary, and that it will probably appear again after a season or two.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-27-2020 Thread Starter

Thanks for the pictures!

Is replacing keel bolts in an iron keel a simple matter of slinging the boat, dropping the keel and unscrewing the bolts and replacing with new? Would probably grind/sandblast the top surface of the keel as well.

Am also wondering if this is something that would be an absolute necessity to do this season before putting it in the water..would rather do it next season if the bolts don't look too bad.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-27-2020
Learning the HARD way...

For an iron keel, I would try to remove the bolts and this will probably require a sawzall. Then I would tap the holes to clean the threads, or drill and tap new ones that would line up with stringers. This is NOT a DIY project, and I would not sail the boat until it was done.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #10 of 22 Old 03-27-2020
Learning the HARD way...

BTW the pictures above are the pictures that go with my posts in this thread; https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...-nuisance.html

I suggest that you read through it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in