Architecture Student outsider to sailing. Hello and help me please? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 08-29-2012
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: Architecture Student outsider to sailing. Hello and help me please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
You may want to read/contact/study SN's own Bob Perry as he is a legendary yacht designer....
I am glad I wasn't the only one who thought "Boat Architecture." Everyone else is thinking buildings/marinas. While Boat architecture is a whole other animal. I suppose I'd want to know "which is it?"

In which case I agree Bob Perry, WDShock, or Jim Lee, or any one of the other boat designers lurking around here.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 08-29-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asksteevs View Post
Unfortunately not... I'm in good old Bozeman, MT. We're coming down for one week this month and the whole semester will be based off of that trip. I still appreciate the tips though, may give me places to check out...

Thanks!
I did not notice that you were in Bozeman Mt. Is Ferd Johns still teaching in the architecture school? That sounds like something he would come up with.

If so, please say hello to Ferd from Jeff Halpern, from Halpern Architects in Annapolis.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #13 of 23 Old 08-29-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"I think it'd be cool to have a house over the water with part of it tall enough to be an enclosed slip for a sailboat. "
Ergh, DR? That's called a "boathouse". Should be plenty still standing in the Thousand Islands and other places where folks with money, boats, and "cottages" have infested the land.

I'm thinking, architecture involves real estate, boats are chattel goods, there's not a whole lot of overlap beyond "Where can I park the yacht?". And not too many locations where the land meets the sea (or reservoir) so not too many places for architecture to impact with sailing.

Lakeside firehouse with sailboat dock in basement, mast of sailboat used as firepole?

Dunno.

Steve-
You might try writing or calling some of the sailing magazines, telling them what your project is and asking if they could send a box of old magazines to the class. They sell back issues, but you never know who's feeling generous.

Having been interested in both over the years, I still have to say my reaction to "architecture+sailing=?" comes back as "Huh?" but maybe more coffee will change that.

post #14 of 23 Old 08-29-2012

Have fun while your still in Arch school......

Last edited by k_p_m; 08-29-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: initial post too bitter......
post #15 of 23 Old 08-31-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)

You can download a whole lot of stuff from Latitude 38, which is San Francisco-based.
Have you looked at the marinas at Flathead Lake?
My wife's cousin used to sail in Santa Cruz, Ca, and now lives in Bozeman (John Sully).
You probably already have material about green/clean marinas and the requirements for achieving various groups' green designations.

How about designs for community sailing centers?
Or addressing the need for all kinds of people, including those with disabilities, for water access in a way that acknowledges and accommodates the high cost and competition for waterfront property? What are the most cost-effective ways to design or retrofit marinas and boats for use by non-traditional users?
post #16 of 23 Old 08-31-2012 Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much for your time. If you all wouldn't mind, can you enlighten me on what it is about sailing that makes you tick?

In short, why do you sail?

Feel free to tell me a little background, what type/size boat you sail, racing experience, etc.

I just want to make my knowledge of sailing as complete as possible so I can represent your pastime in a knowledgeable way through the course of this project. I want to do sailing proud!
post #17 of 23 Old 08-31-2012
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"I just want to make my knowledge of sailing as complete as possible so "
You can't o tht without going out and sailing, Steve. A day on the water literally changes your blood chemistry and all the "drugs" that work your brain, so without going out and doing it, you would be like an author trying to describe a drug trip--without ever trying drugs. Or a virgin in a cloister trying to describe sex and orgasms or "coyote ugly".
Some things are still visceral, you can't booklearn them, and hearing stories about them just won't get you there.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-31-2012
Administrator

HelloSailor nailed it. You need to go sailing if you don't want to sound like an idiot or a parrot. Its the difference between doing primary research, vs reading a research paper, vs. reading a professional journal report on research, vs reading an article in a popular weekly magazine, vs. hearing the news on the hour soundbite version. There is a spectrum of difference and here you are only getting soundbites.

Here are mine:
What do I love most about sailing?
 I really love the beauty of being out on the water, the changing color and sense of distance.
 I really love harnessing the forces of wind, current, my body and my mind to get me where I want to go.
 I really love the technology of sailing and keeping a boat up to speed.
 I love the strategic thinking involved in winning a race or making a fast passage and/or figuring out how to get there without using the engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #19 of 23 Old 08-31-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)

freedom -- no traffic lights or yellow stripes, the ability to explore 70+ percent of the planet's surface, the responsibility for your own actions, the freedom to be contemplative and spend time getting to know oneself outside the constraints of modern society and packaged leisure, the power to change one's address and environment at any time

challenge -- a sport or recreation whose fundamentals you can learn in a day, but attempting to achieve mastery will occupy a lifetime

diversity -- in the moods of the ocean from benign to terrifying, in the many skills and subgenres of the sport, among sailors, in the ability to visit the world, in the rich heritage and history of humans upon the ocean

My time on the water has encompassed bits of this and that; coastal and inland day sailing, sailboat racing, sailboat race/regatta management, power boating, and kayaking. Also, one of the marinas where we keep a boat is a co-op, owned by a sailing club, for which we who are members do almost all of the repairs and maintenance.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-31-2012
Water Lover

A comparison to enlarge on the "many skills and subgenres" mention:

Tennis: One racquet per player, one ball in play, two to four players, stripes on court to indicate service areas and area for singles or doubles play. Hit the ball over the net and between the lines and try to get an opponent to miss or mis-hit. That's pretty much it. Not to offend tennis fans, but sailing might just be a wee bit more varied:

Sailing:
day sailing, gunk holing, overnight cruising, voyaging, short-duration buoy racing, multi-day regattas, long ocean races, global circumnavigation, world cruising, living aboard

on small dinghies, little catboats, high-performance skiffs or hydrofoil boats, sport boats, small keel boats, cruising boats, racer-cruisers, purpose-built racing boats, small beach catamarans, cruising catamarans and trimarans, volunteering to crew glorious tall ships and museum ships, with crews on elegant yachts and ratty home-built boats all having fun,

sailing in small lakes and ponds, upon inland seas, in bays and gulfs, in the open ocean, in calms and storms, in crowded busy harbors and lonely forbidding coasts, in exotic lands among exotic craft, among ice floes at the top or bottom of the world or anchored among palm trees in a coral-reef-fringed lagoon,

while maybe on the side doing some fishing, surfing, diving and exploring the underwater realms, photography, collecting sea shells or doing nautical crafts, helping with research projects, participating in rendezvous and raft-ups and socializing with other sailors, or using one's skills to help people in less fortunate communities,

learning basic sail trim, heavy weather and light air sailing skills, anchoring and mooring skills, maintaining and troubleshooting boat systems, learning dead reckoning and piloting, learning celestial and electronic navigation, learning traditional knot and ropework and other skills, perhaps acquiring occupational skills such as sailmaking or boat systems repair or becoming a licensed professional captain, learning about the ocean and weather, exploring the world and the complexities of all its cultures, learning the tactics and skills of sailboat racing, or perhaps learning about naval architecture and building your own boat or at least customizing and making your boat an expression of yourself and your wants and needs

while sailing your own dinghy as a seven-year-old child, or in high school or college competition, or solo sailing, or sailing in a singles group, or escaping under sail with your family, or being able to include your spouse and children in a sport in which you can compete together with everyone being important to your success, and a sport in which people with disabilities can compete, or sailing for decades after retirement.

Now, THAT's sailing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in