Irwin 34, port side hull repair ? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2018 Thread Starter

Irwin 34, port side hull repair ?

A boat yard placed my Irwin 34 improperly on the cradle a couple years ago and cranked the center pad on the port side too much causing a permanent indent that I can move in and out with my hand an inch or two with some pressure.
I asked Gene Gammon for advice how to fix this. His reply follows so taking his advice and posting the ? to this forum on the lowest cost DIY method to fix this problem? Appreciate anyone's advice that could help with this: "I have heard of this problem before on the 34s. There is a void area under the port settee without much bracing. Some have just pulled the hull out or shimmed it out from the inside and injected foam or added a stringer.
Check with the owners groups found on the Marine Links page and ask others how they fixed it.
Regards, Gene Gammon, Capt."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-20-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Irwin 34, port side hull repair ?

I don't know the Irwin but with any FRP hull, if you can now move the hull in and out by an inch, the FRP fibers themselves were broken and that compromises the structure of the hull. A proper repair would involve cutting out the affected area, feathering the edges of the cut to about a 12:1 angle, and laying in new laminate to form a structural repair. You'll find details in West System's web site, they go into details on everything and offer free telephone tech support for projects.

Yes, in theory you could just push it back out and then apply structural bracing behind it, inside the hull and hidden from view by that settee. Probably just as strong even if it is a kludge. But just applying foam and a brace? Might be "enough" but I don't think it would be a 100% structural repair.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-21-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you much for the information and will explore the West System's web site for details. May do that in conjunction with bracing on the inside once I figure out how to remove a water tank that is in the way under the port settee. Will be a Spring project once the snow melts. Thanks again!

post #4 of 4 Old 02-21-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

To empty water tanks, we usually remove the inspection plate, invert the boat, and shake.(G)

But one of those inexpensive gray plastic "dingy bilge hand pumps" does a good job, and always finds a home for itself afterwards.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in