1974 Irwin 33 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-26-2018 Thread Starter

1974 Irwin 33

Can anyone give me any info on how much one of these boats is worth? Fair condition.. needs new sheets and some work done... rough ideas are welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-26-2018

Re: 1974 Irwin 33

Well NADA suggest list of $24k, with a average retail of $10k and low retail of $9k.
https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/197...0093864/values

New sheets, maybe $50.00. Engine, standing rigging, sails, deck saturation, wiring, rudder condition, drive train, and on and on. Blisters?
Value is hard to say even from pictures. My suggestion, look at a ton of boats before buying one. Boats are like wives, hard to get, expensive to keep and you are going to lose a lot of money when you rid of them.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper Jer For This Useful Post:
ElectricianJustin (10-26-2018)
post #3 of 8 Old 10-26-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
Well NADA suggest list of $24k, with a average retail of $10k and low retail of $9k.
https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/197...0093864/values

New sheets, maybe $50.00. Engine, standing rigging, sails, deck saturation, wiring, rudder condition, drive train, and on and on. Blisters?
Value is hard to say even from pictures. My suggestion, look at a ton of boats before buying one. Boats are like wives, hard to get, expensive to keep and you are going to lose a lot of money when you rid of them.
I have a feeling he meant sails, as sheets would be an inconsequential expense when buying a boat, as you pointed out.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 8 Old 10-26-2018

I have been researching boat prices for nearly 5 years. I have read ads on various web sites and at various brokers pages. I have called after the sale to find out what boats actually sold for, compared to the original asking price.

One thing I have learned is that there is really no way to judge the sale value of used boats like there is with cars. Prices seem to vary drastically depending on things like region of the country, condition of several different systems on the boat, and even whether they were used on inland lakes or saltwater.

Prices are influenced by the reputation and pedigree of the boat model, designer and builder. Prices can be influenced by a large variety of available navigation and communication equipment, and refrigeration and autopilot add-ons.

I've noticed that a boat that has a reputation as a good racer, but as being less comfortable as a cruiser, may go for less in the Bahamas than a comparable boat in the Great Lakes.

Conversely, I've noticed that a boat that has a strong pedigree as a blue water cruiser may sit for some time unsold on the Great Lakes but a comprable model located in a coastal area in the South may sell rather quickly at a higher price.

I watched the ad for one boat for a while that proudly advertised that it was equipped with a loran navigation system. Loran systems have not been supported with shore stations for about 15 years or more.

Last edited by midwesterner; 10-26-2018 at 07:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to midwesterner For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 8 Old 10-26-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you all. I looked everywhere for the NADA so thanks for the link.

I've been helping an 89 year old man take care of this boat and he wants to give it to me. I refused it for free and wanted to make him a reasonable offer. Its still solid, no blisters, it could use a new main sail within the next year though. I did mean new sheets, I just didn't know they were so inexpensive as everything else I've bought for it seems quite expensive.. He has told me more than once; "This is a rich man's hobby you know." HAHA. No salt water except two trips from Vermont to Maryland through the canal. As you can probably tell I've only really dabbled in sailing but I've taken a course and have been sailing with friends on many occasions.

It needs some TLC for sure, but I'm really looking forward to calling it my own and working on restoring the things he has had to neglect due to his and his wife's health.

I appreciate the quick responses.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-27-2018
Administrator

Irwin made several different 33 footers with a number of different configurations. In really good condition the boat is worth around $12,000-13,000, but that boat needs a new mainsail. A new mainsail will cost between approximately $1,100 and $2500 depending on the quality. If the mainsail is in rough shape then you probably need a new jib before long which is another $2,500 to $3,0000.

Jib sheets for that boat would probably be 66 feet of 7/16" dacron double braid at roughly $1.35 per foot. The mainsheet would probably be around 70-80 feet of the same. And if the sheets are in bad shape, then you are probably pretty close to needing halyards.

That makes the value of that boat closer to the $5,000 to $6,000 range and you will need to be prepared to spend double that ob maintenance if you own and sail that boat for more than a few years.

Lastly I strongly suggest that you get the boat professionally surveyed so that you know whether there are any 'fatal flaws' such as keel bolts, which on the fixed keel model could easily be at the end of their 'use by date' especially since this is a fresh water boat and so would often more prone to crevice corrosion than a sail water boat.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
ElectricianJustin (10-27-2018)
post #7 of 8 Old 10-27-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff.
I met a guy at the marina three years ago who used to own a boat maintenance and repair company. He is also now a surveyor and he met me out there today. He feels free is a good price... He let me help him replace his through hull fittings on his boat two years ago and is willing to help me with this one too as they are gate valves still..

I must say I enjoy doing what work I have experience doing on boats... but free is starting to seem like a fair price. I'm going to be getting a number together for what I need to do to be sure though. I've helped this guy with no expectations, just looking to learn, and I don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage of him in the end.

Thank you everyone, this community is a good place to browse and majority of the people here sound very helpful. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions and be asking for opinions in the future!!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-27-2018
cdy

In Florida NADA values are worthless for older sailboats 35 feet and under in average shape - there are just too many for sale - some quote NADA values in their ads - and the boat never sells - they are only worth what someone else is willing to pay - which right now is not much - I would guess if your boat was in Florida and had a working diesel engine - it would sell between $5K to $8K - but is might sit for a while - Irwin is generally not a make that people go out of their way to look for -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in