Island Packet 35 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 63 Old 03-15-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Re: Island Packet 35

How's the project coming along? We're looking at an IP35 this weekend.....seen a few '89's over the past 2 weeks. Chainplate(s) and mast base access (for wiring) are my only two complaints. Everything else appears easily accessible...stuffing box is a bit tight though...full keel... There's a few videos (Mack Sails being one) out there on IP Chainplate replacement. They have a set fee for replacing all rigging and chainplates now. IP probably has the same thing right at the factory and is of course quite a bit closer to your location.

Any storm damage to the rudder or keel?

Keep us posted on your progress!

Best
krisscross likes this.

Tartan 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 Old 03-15-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
No, they are buried in. Im getting a rigger do that part, as well as the spreader repair.
A friend of mine, IP 31 owner, has been contemplating replacing his existing chainplates with hullside chainplates.

Not really sure if it's feasable, and it really changes the look of the boat, but you'd gain inspectability and access for maintenance. Something to consider.
capta likes this.
post #13 of 63 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

I have already replaced the chain plates for all 4 lower stays with external plates made specifically for island packet boats. They are incredibly beefy and are bolted through the ss bar which is glassed inside the hull during manufacturing process. But its a very expensive fix. The plates alone are about $500 each. And drilling 7/8 holes in 1/4 ss bar is no joke.
PhilCarlson and scubadoo like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #14 of 63 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

No storm damage to rudder or keel. Im almost done with the rigging, just waiting for an insulated back stay that had to be replaced. The work on rub and cap rails is moving very slowly as the weather has been wet and the carpenter slower than molasses in Siberian winter. Installed a new bow pulpit, and ordered a new port side cockpit railing which will include an 8 wind generator pole. I fixed the dodger and have all the parts for bimini which will have at least 2 solar panels mounted on top.
scubadoo likes this.

Plato
post #15 of 63 Old 03-15-2019 Thread Starter

Oh, and I had also completely re plumbed the head, making it fully compliant with Florida requirements.

Plato
post #16 of 63 Old 03-18-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Thanks for the updates! We drove across the state to Bradenton and saw the IP-35 on Sunday. This is the 4th one we've looked at....they hold their value well.

Tartan 31
post #17 of 63 Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, these are very well built boats that are also very comfortable to live on. Everything is really solid and IP factory workmanship is great. Before I bought this boat I drove over 3000 miles looking at over 30 different boats. It really was not such a hard choice. Even damaged, this boat stood out in a positive way against all the other boats I was considering. Yes, I am spending quite a bit of money and time on the repairs and upgrades, but I'm getting a boat that is really solid and will hold it's value should I decide to sell her.

Plato
post #18 of 63 Old 03-19-2019

The encapsulated chainplates in some IP's are a major concern if I was in the market for one. REALLY REALLY a danger of crevice corrosion when salt water gets in. Only way to find out if they've got it is wait for the chainplate to fail and the mast falls down. Converting to external chain plates shouldn't be that hard or expensive. The chain plates would be easy to fabricate out of 1/4" SS or thicker with a drill press and belt sander. It could be a do it yourself project though way easier to have a machine shop do it. Order the right width plate, cut to length, drill the holes for 3/8" fasteners get them electro polished and install using the original chain plates as backing. There hardest part will be drilling the holes through the old chainplates and cutting the tops off the old fittings.
post #19 of 63 Old 03-19-2019 Thread Starter

After digging around these chain plates I decided to only replace the plates for the 4 lower stays. They are made from a rather thin stock which does not look like 316. The PO did a nasty uncontrolled jibe and the boom slammed into the port aft lower stay kinking it on impact. Next day he noticed that the chain plate for that stay broke off at deck level. The new external plates are more than double in thickness. There is an outfit in Florida, neat IP factory which specializes in replacing chain plates on IP boats. They charge about 12 grand for replacing all the plates. I think its an overkill but the 4 lower stays definitely need to be replaced IMO.

Plato
post #20 of 63 Old 03-19-2019
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Congratulations on your new purchase! I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress and seeing pictures.
krisscross likes this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in