Island Packet 35 - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 63 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I could be wrong..again..but i dont think its possible to get 30 amps from 400w .

Should be closer to 20..max.
Imo, 15 would be happy territory
Maybe check output at the panels..if you are curious.

...edit
What is the voltage of the panels?
Well, this is what the ammeter reads around mid day on a clear sunny day. I don’t have a portable one to hook up to my panels directly, but the controller is reading feed line from all 4 panels. Each panel reads close to 20 volts when tested individually before controller.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 04-27-2019

100w 18v panel does 5.55 amp...in test conditions
post #33 of 63 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Maybe the ammeter is not accurate. Still, it charges the battery bank quite quickly. I was actually worried that these 4 panels will be too much for my 30 amp controller.

Plato

post #34 of 63 Old 04-27-2019

Watts = amps x volts. Law of physics, no room for maneuvering.

It was just my gut, but 30 amps of charge seemed like alot from that setup. I wondered if I could really tell the scale of the panels, but the fact that they are not all well angled into the sun (which is normal) should degrade even rated capability. Of course, anything less than ideal conditions would do so.

Glad to hear they seem to be getting the job done, but I wonder how accurate the controllers are and how the OP knows it's really fully charging. Most shore powered chargers are bad enough that they appear to be fully charging, but are not really doing so.
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #35 of 63 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Its 10 am and the batteries are fully charged. Last read of the ammeter when it was still charging was almost 20 amps.

Plato
post #36 of 63 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Yes, I was thinking that maybe the controller cuts off the charge from solar panels too early but I would rather have these gel batteries undercharging than overcharging.

Plato
post #37 of 63 Old 04-27-2019

A clamp multimeter that reads dc is very useful on a boat
post #38 of 63 Old 04-27-2019

The only way to know that Gel batteries are fully charged is with a shunt that is monitoring charge acceptance amps (the actual amount of amperage being accepted by the batteries) during Absorb voltage. The amperage being put out by the charge source isn't directly related. IOW, just because your panels are putting out 30 amps, doesn't mean the batteries are taking it in. Once Gels get above 80-90% charge, they accept very low amperage, as a percent of capacity. Is your setup judging fully charged this way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #39 of 63 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is your setup judging fully charged this way?
not sure about that. But judging by the battery voltage in the morning (almost always above 12) they are being properly charged.

Plato
post #40 of 63 Old 04-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
not sure about that. But judging by the battery voltage in the morning (almost always above 12) they are being properly charged.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but that has nothing to do with knowing they are fully charged before sundown. For Gels you never want to see below about 12.3 volts to know you didn't drop below 50% capacity. You said 'almost', so that sounds like you've seen less than 12, which would be very hard on your house bank and clearly below 50%. Nevertheless, this doesn't say anything about whether they started at 100%.

I really don't mean to be making you dizzy. I think this started because it seemed like the output from that panel system was surprising. The two separate issues are:

Do you make enough power to get through your day?........ sounds like you do, if you drive them below 50% of capacity. No law says you can't, you just shorten lifespan.

Is the charging profile going to maximize the lifespan of the house bank?....... I'm worried about this one, but you may not be. Lead acid wants to get to a true 100% of capacity with routine, to avoid excess sulfation. The good news is that Gels are able to take more abuse than others, but they're not immune.
krisscross likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in