Island Packet 35 - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 63 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Island Packet 35

Bit of an update. Finished the refit and left Pensacola on June 3. Outside sailing to Boca Grande inlet. Make it mostly motoring to BG inlet, as wind was very light to none. From there I took the Lake Okeechobee waterway and came out on the Atlantic side. Currently in Stuart, Florida at a mooring for a week, waiting for a friend who will sail with me to St. Maryís, Georgia. From there going solo towards North Carolina, most likely on the inside. If you want to get some experience, join me.
Minnesail and scubadoo like this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 63 Old 06-10-2019

Congrats on the Re-Fit Kriss! Wish I could join you for some sailing on the outside... Looks like I'm going to miss out on a whole year of sailing on account of the Damn Storm. Plan is to haul the boat in Sept. and try to do the re-fit in 2 months which means most likely turns into 4 months. Sa-la-Vie or so it goes with boat projects. Fernandina to Charleston on the outside is not bad if weather is good and you want to save some time and have extra crew to help with watches. I never have cared for the Ditch but I've only done it in delivery mode. Might be better if you're not in a hurry. Fair Winds!
krisscross likes this.
post #53 of 63 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you, Mr Contrarian. I quite agree. My refit took much longer than anticipated. I would prefer to go on the outside but this close to shore itís tough for one guy. Iím not in a hurry and always liked some quiet places along the ICW. Best of luck with your project and if you want to sail with me I would love that. 😊

Plato

post #54 of 63 Old 06-10-2019 Thread Starter

If anyone wants to see pictures, Iím on Facebook as Kris Sailor. This one is from this evening, before thunderstorm.
Attached Thumbnails
38D88865-D17B-4659-8783-2BF81B49016B.jpeg  

Plato
post #55 of 63 Old 06-11-2019

That sounds pretty impressive to me. I'm not sure when you started the re-fit, but the thread started 5 months ago, with a hurricane damaged boat (deck, rigging and power, iirc), and now you've already made a 500 mile passage on her.

How about a recap of what you had done to her, over what period of time. Amazing. Any before and after pics?
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #56 of 63 Old 06-11-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you, Mr Minnewaska. Refit started in early February. I posted updates and pictures on my Facebook page. Posting pictures here is more complicated and they lose detail in translation. Or maybe I donít know how to make them come out good. Rub and cap rails fixing were quite a job. So was restoring the railings, fixing the dodger and constructing solar panel bimini and wind turbine tower. Lots and lots of little things on top of that. I bought a new Monitor wind vane and started using it with good success. Love that thing. Also love my Raymarine chain drive below deck autopilot. It turns boring routine into fun time. Got a used main sail as a backup, it is in good shape after minor repairs. I have spent more money than anticipated, by about a third, despite buying used parts whenever possible, and doing most of the repairs myself. Still, Iím happy with the results.
Minnesail likes this.

Plato
post #57 of 63 Old 06-11-2019
Freedom Chip Counter

Awesome! Will definitely check out your fb page to see the updates. Lots of storms this week, we were planning on sailing up to Stuart this weekend, but have cut the trip short due to the pending weather. Hoping to make it up to Riviera Beach though! Don't be afraid to use those sails in the ditch...just takes a bit of planning at the bridges. Hope you had a chance to raise them when crossing Okeechobee!
Best!
krisscross likes this.

Tartan 31
post #58 of 63 Old 06-11-2019 Thread Starter

Crossing Okeechobee we touched bottom several times with 4.6 foot draft and run into 2 hellacious thunderstorms with winds over 40 knots. Second one got us just a mile before Port Mayaca lock. Pulled into the lock in 4 to 5 foot waves, winds around 40 knots and torrential rain going sideways. Sailing was not contemplated 😂
MarkofSeaLife and Minnesail like this.

Plato
post #59 of 63 Old 06-11-2019 Thread Starter

I was originally planning to go through the Keys, but the lack of wind made me reconsider. In order to go under Port Mayaca railroad bridge I had to take off my wind instrument, windex vane and vhf antenna. My mast head is 48 feet and bridge clearance is around 49 feet, depending on the water level. I made it with maybe a 10 inches to spare. After passing the bridge I drank a big toast with my special medicinal hooch. 😊 I had to reinstall all that gear next morning while anchored in the middle of the canal. All that to avoid paying some dude 200 bucks to tip my boat with 55 gallon drums filled with water. 😂

Plato
post #60 of 63 Old 06-11-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Good show and great job. My best friend had an IP35. Solid great live aboard.
You did a great job.good luck.
krisscross likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in