P79 In-Hull Transducer - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dfok
  • 1 Post By overbored

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-02-2018 Thread Starter

P79 In-Hull Transducer

I'm planning on installing a P79 In-Hull Transducer in my 1984 IB 30 to connect to my Garmin echoMap 74dv. Any issues I should know about? Has anyone used this transducer on their Islander?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2018

Re: P79 In-Hull Transducer

I spoke with the Garmin sales people at a boat show about using an in-hull transducer. They cautioned against an in-hull transducer on a cruising sailboat because of the thickness of the hull, especially in the area near the keel (where you would place the transducer). They said that the in-hull transducers were designed for small powerboats and often don't work well on sailboats.
I'm sure there are exceptions and we'll probably hear from people who have had good results..

But the idea of eliminating one hole in the bottom of my boat is pretty attractive...
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2019

I was able to find one of the thru hull transducers (AIRMAR DST800) for around $40 online once, which i jumped on! I wasn't thrilled about making another hole in the hull so I decided to epoxy it to the inside of the hull using JBWeld and happens to be somewhere around 2-2.5ft from the keel. Works like a charm for a sailboat's needs (Depth) and is pretty accurate since the boat never goes over 8 kts. As for the comment about in-hull transducers not being reliable, that sounds like more of a power boat problem when reaching some faster speeds. For a sailboat as old as mine (1976) it has a very thick hull which doesn't effect the transducer from what I can tell. If you get the in-hull version P79, its built to be glued inside as mine is and so it should work just as good or even better. Sailboats are slow so as long as your glue/epoxy is good (no air bubbles) then you shouldn't have any problems.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2019

Hull has to be solid glass. Won't work if the hull is cored.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2019

How does the speed work on the DST800 when it is inside the boat? How did you get it epoxied soundly with the paddlewheel?

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2019

Toilet bowl wax rings work for sticking the transducer to the hull. I used it to test out the new transducer with my Echomap 64cv (the old P-79 does not work with the newer sonar in the 64cv). My intention was to use it temporarily before deciding on where to epoxy the new transducer but it has been stuck to the hull for over a year and is working fine.
I keep a couple wax rings on board for emergency sealing of thru hulls or anything else that arises. It is cheap, doesn't weigh much and has proven useful.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Last edited by Dfok; 11-28-2019 at 01:24 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Toilet bowl wax rings work for sticking the transducer to the hull. I used it to test out the new transducer with my Echomap 64cv (the old P-79 does not work with the newer sonar in the 64cv). My intention was to use it temporarily before deciding on where to epoxy the new transducer but it has been stuck to the hull for over a year and is working fine.
I keep a couple wax rings on board for emergency sealing of thru hulls or anything else that arises. It is cheap, doesn't weigh much and has proven useful.
the wax works great, mine has been stuck on with wax since we got the boat almost 5 years now and I just use water in the mount no need for glycol, we never se below freezing temps. if the climate ever changes so we do see freezing here then we will be moving south
RegisteredUser likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
How does the speed work on the DST800 when it is inside the boat? How did you get it epoxied soundly with the paddlewheel?

Mark
Apologies, I do not have the DST800 but the DT800. It gives temp and depth but not speed. As it's glued on and not installed via a thru-hull, I do not get water temp readings that are accurate.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in