I28 Keel Bolts - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-28-2018 Thread Starter

I28 Keel Bolts

After removing epoxy over 1975 I28 keel bolt are shown. The bilge wants to be wet so I want to re-seal. No apparent keel separation when inspected by diver. What should I do here? How and with what should I treat the bolt?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0117.jpg   IMG_0119.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-28-2018

Re: I28 Keel Bolts

These bolts look very corroded. There is no way to figure out the condition of the bolts below the nut without a major hassle of dropping the keel. What kind of sailing are you planning to do on this boat? If local and no hot dogging it might be okay to leave as is. I would spray the exposed parts with cosmoline to stop further corrosion.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 23 Old 11-28-2018
Dirt Free

Sorry, not what you want to hear. Those bolts are done. Any surveyor worth his salt would condemn them.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-28-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

'The bilge wants to be wet so I want to re-seal. "
Is it taking in water from under the boat? Or is it wet from rain?

I can't really tell about #1 but that #2 bolt sure looks half-eaten compared to any new bolt in the hardware store. Given that the I28 is built like a brick...I'm not sure I'd be so fast to condemn it but that could be my own ignorance. IIRC there's also a keel bolt forward mainly inaccessible because of the oddly stepped mast support and head compartment, there's a 4x4 in the corner of the head that is structural and gets in the way.

If you decide to recoat the bolts, I'd go with beeswax (inside dams if it gets hot enough to melt that there) only because that's easier to remove for reinspection than epoxy. If you want to simply take no risks, that could mean dropping an reattaching the keel, or having someone sister in new bolts while leaving the originals where they are. Not a trivial job either way, so it might be worth finding a competent local surveyor to go hands-on in any case.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-28-2018 Thread Starter

I was planning on having some bolts sistered in next time I am out of the water. I even saw a company that could do it on the water. Any recommendations for people around Monterey California that can do the job? Also I assume sistering will not fix a leak, if I indeed do have a keel leak... Could that be fixed out of the water? How?
post #6 of 23 Old 12-01-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

All depends on why the boat is leaking, if it is. The only certain way to fix a keel leak is to drop the keel, clean out the joint, repair any structural issues (i.e. damaged fiberglass or rotted wood) and then rebed the keel and tighten it back up. Whether that is done with new bolts or old bolts is sort of immaterial. The question remains, why is is leaking and will "just" tightening it up stop that?
post #7 of 23 Old 12-06-2018 Thread Starter

Look at this photo. Is this the top of my keel or some kind of ballast? The other keel bolt (aft most) show before is at least a foot lower than the surface of this block. If it is ballast how to remove it. If it is my keel, what is keeping it on?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0033.jpg  
post #8 of 23 Old 12-06-2018
al brazzi

On a small 26 footer we drilled into the Keel at an angle to add strength to the new Bolt and ran some 5/8" X 18" (I think) lag bolts straight into the Keel. I still have the drill bit, its a monster. Having said that I replaced all the nuts on my current Boat, best I could tell the studs are perfect but the nuts were not. Im told probably 316SS studs and 304 nuts, sounds good and again my studs were perfect and yours don't look good at all. Normally I would recommend changing the nuts anyway, they might just come right off or you might break it then at least you know what you have. Risky business no matter what.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-07-2018

Those bolts are pretty scary looking. I wouldn't trust them. The trouble is that you can't simply just replace the bolts. Keel bolts aren't simply threaded into the keel because lead is too soft. The bolts are either J- or T-shaped and are cast into the lead. So you basically have two options: replace the entire keel or sister the bolts. A proper job of sistering requires the boat to be out of the water. If your keel is leaking already, you should drop it, clean up the surfaces and repair any damage before moving ahead with the sistering. There is a good description of sistering at the end of the article in this link:
https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/how...e-is-your-keel

Sistering is actually quite do-able. Good luck.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-07-2018

Too bad Bob Perry hasn't been posting here for some time. The Islander 28 is his design.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in