Islander 30 MKII - Water Deck Fill Install - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Islander 30 MKII - Water Deck Fill Install

Hey Guys/Gals,

Anyone have any experience with installing a fresh water deck fill in the Islander 30 MKII?
I am thinking of putting a deck fill directly above the small starboard hanging locker near the V-berth, 1.5" clear tubing would go from deck, down through the top of the hanging locker, then through the wall of hanging locker into the starboard cubby and through the opposite wall of cubby which is back to back with the fiberglass molded water tank using a plastic thru hull.

It seems simple in nature but if others have done the same and run into any issues or if others have any tips/suggestions, Id love to hear it.
The tank is only around 20-25 gallons but bringing the house in through the head port light and having to lift up the V-berth mattress is just becoming annoying.

Also wondering if adding the thru hull at the water tank should be located at the top as id guess, but if put in the bottom of the tank, Id be able to look in the hanging locker or cubby to check my water level. If doing this, id seem there would be some mild pressure issues as filling would need to be done at a slower rate as opposed to installing the fill as close to the top which would have 0 resistance comparatively on the water being put into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Islander 30 MKII - Water Deck Fill Install

Think about venting.
That heavy tubing is very stiff and can be a bear to route
post #3 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Red face Re: Islander 30 MKII - Water Deck Fill Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Think about venting.
Venting is not an issue as the tank already has a vent tube leading up though the bow in chain locker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
That heavy tubing is very stiff and can be a bear to route
True. I'm thinking I might be able to break out the heat gun to help with any bending needs (careful to not thin out any sections with too much heat that would cause issues later) or just have some 45/90 degree bends in places that need a quick turn. It should only be about 4-5 ft total so it shouldn't be too bad I hope.

Anyone have any suggestions on if this route with the tubing is most efficient/best overall? Am hoping to hear back from anyone who has done a similar task.[/PHP][/PHP]

post #4 of 4 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Islander 30 MKII - Water Deck Fill Install

Bribe somebody to help when you do the big tubing.
1 pushing and 1 pulling at same time.
Water soluble lube might be needed to get the ends on the fittings.
Think ky type of stuff.
I can imgine with such a short length possibly needing to mostly push the deck fill fitting on before it is secured down.
I would cut the final deck fill end length last

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in