Brass thru-hulls? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old 12-08-2016

Re: Brass thru-hulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonecrusin View Post
That'll be a big job Minne, some of the seacocks on the Beneteau built boats are tough to get to. I would bring rum and leave my sawza and sledge hammer at home. Good luck.
That is true, plus I have over 2 dozen of them!

I find you just have to take the time to disassemble everything around to gain better access. Pulling out a salon seat is way more complicated that one might think, involving multiple interlocking parts. Otherwise, you spend twice as much time trying to troubleshoot the lousy access. I haven't done thru-hulls yet, but the same principal goes for tankage, pumps, etc, which are often buried deep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 12-08-2016

Don't worry about the hard to get at ones until you need to.
post #23 of 34 Old 12-08-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
When you need to .... can sometimes be too late !
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 12-08-2016 at 05:06 PM.

post #24 of 34 Old 12-08-2016

It's fairly easy to knockoff the skin fitting from the outside when the boat is on the hard, I use a 4.5" angle grinder to remove the mushroom, it's quick and easy provided you're not removing flush fittings. For mounting pads I use 1/2" G10 pre drilled for the through hull and the seacock already bolted to to it, G10 taps well. It's easy to insert the through hull and spin the new seacock onto it then bed it in an epoxy slurry. As long as the through hull is flush to the hull the slurry will fill any misalignment. After it cures I remove the bolts holding the seacock on, spin the seacock off, bed the seacock in a polysulfide, spin it back on and bolt it to the G10. Done...

Most of this is from Mainesail, he's great!
post #25 of 34 Old 12-09-2016

Quote:
The trick is know when "need to" arrives. I exercise all my thru-hulls regularly (with two exceptions). Last winter, I pulled one off completely, because I thought it was leaking. It turns out the water collected near it, was coming from elsewhere. Nevertheless, I cleaned all the parts in a diluted vinegar solution. It had some corrosion, but just on the surface. I did not think any wall thickness had been compromised, nor did I notice any indication of de-zincification. I put it all back together and it's been fine.

The problem is, I have no idea how all 27 look. Some do appear to have more surface corrosion than others. I do not like the mismatched threads at all. I used thread sealer on the one that I reinstalled, which acted as a lube, and allowed me to grab maybe one more thread.

For all I know, my thru-hulls and valves will last another decade. They are pushing 12 years old now and it's just making me itchy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 34 Old 12-09-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The trick is know when "need to" arrives.

It had some corrosion, but just on the surface.

Some do appear to have more surface corrosion than others.

I do not like the mismatched threads at all.

For all I know, my thru-hulls and valves will last another decade.
it has arrived !

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 12-09-2016 at 09:00 AM.
post #27 of 34 Old 12-09-2016

The problem for most of the ball valves on boats is the HANDLES that you use to open and close them... almost all are crappy metal and corrode eve of the ball valve is OK. Why don't they make SS or bronze or delrin or no corrosive handle???

They do... but matching them is a bummer!
post #28 of 34 Old 12-09-2016

I had no idea my feeble tonguein cheek glib attempt at subtle humour would be taken seriously. If you haven't got at least a visual on thruhulls it's not likely the tapered plugs on a lanyard nearby concept will help when the itch develops a rash. If stuff is in the way how about a big hole saw in the locker and clips to secure the cutout or make a new panel if you have to move the hole. Torquing the last thread onto mis matched puts a lot of sheer on the thread roots and causes an itch too.
post #29 of 34 Old 12-09-2016

That floppy handle can be replaced with a piece of SS strap, say 1x3/16 slot drilled and filed to fit. Quash a piece of hose in a vice and drive them together for a professional look. or bolt on an extender shaft handle for remoter operation if the angles cooperate
post #30 of 34 Old 12-09-2016
Dirt Free

Quote:
That floppy handle can be replaced with a piece of SS strap, say 1x3/16 slot drilled and filed to fit. Quash a piece of hose in a vice and drive them together for a professional look. or bolt on an extender shaft handle for remoter operation if the angles cooperate
Or just buy the right product in the first place.
Never seen a bronze handle break.
Attached Thumbnails
seacock.gif  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in