Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Teak Deck Fix or Remove? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

Re: Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Teak Deck Fix or Remove?

It's a dilemna for sure. The problem with removal is how you then repair the fiberglass decking below. If adhesive was used it will need to be ground down, fared out with epoxy, then have a non-skid surface reapplied. Even if not glued down, all the caulking will leave a major mess and you might end up with the same restoration.

If it were me, I would get her sailing safely before I bothered. It may also be worth checking for deck delamination, if water is getting through the screw holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

The water is definately getting through the screws. Good thing is that it almost never rains here.

Removing the wood and sanding down the deck isn't a problem. I can see the caucking breaking down and if this how it is all over the boat then it shouldn't be difficult witha rotary sander and some elbow grease.

I just don't want to spend all my time on making the interior look nice and when winter comes have it all filled with water with the first rain.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Here is another shot of the teak. Already it is coming up.

What i was thinking is to redo the whole top, remove the teak, fix and restore the deck and use the teak for the interior since it really is hard to get it where i am. Just don't trust it being watertight and safe when winter comes.

My philosophy is that if it doesn't look like it would withstand a storm, then it isn't good enough I May be wrong though.
Attached Thumbnails
teak6.jpg  

post #14 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

The split in the board is what looks bad to me. Caulking and screws can all be redone (usually).

Just don't underestimate what it will take to remove it all and reapply the non-skid below. It's a major project, even if you don't find delamination. If you are seeing water through the screw holes, it's almost impossible not to have some. That will mean skinning back the top layer of fiberglass, replacing core material and redoing the glass work, otherwise your deck will be squishy under your foot. Worst case, your deck fitting could pull out. May not be worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

Most screwed down teak decks can be over-hauled and be re-made to 'water tight' - drill out the bungs (portable drill press using a 3/8" 'forstner' bit to drill), remove the screws, remove the strakes, inspect for rot in the core, slightly 'mill' the strakes and epoxy them back down using sand bags to hold in place during the epoxy 'cure', re-bung (no screws needed), caulk the seams, sand the deck ... and then use a deck 'sealer' evermore to prevent UV burn and erosion of the surface.

The first thing Id inspect is for water dripping down from any of those screws that penetrate through the bottom underside skin of the deck. This will determine if the core will also need to be replaced. If the core is wet and also needs to be replaced and new core installed - this is a backbreaking arduous job that will have to be done whether you reinstall the teak or not.

Second and probably most important is to determine which type of screws were used. Most decks are screwed down with 'shoulder' screws - the threads of the screws DO NOT 'run' the entire length of the screw length but leave a small non-threaded length 'just under' the head of the screw. This is to allow thermal expansion of the wood; however WHEN the wood becomes thinner and the screws are driven deeper the (thread free) shoulder portion will not 'hold' into the fiberglass and every damn deeper driven screw can be a source of a leak into the core when the 'caulk' on the underside of the teak strake becomes loose. If 'sheet metal' screws (full length threads) were used, screw leakage into the core is usually not a problem. If 'shoulder' screws were used and there's not much of thread engagement of those threads into the fiberglass deck top skin and the wood is now much thinner and only the caulk on the underside of the teak strakes is holding the strakes to the deck - definitely rip off the deck in its entirety.
If sheet metal screws were used, you have a chance of a successful overhaul of the teak; but at a minimum, Id remove all those 'too long' screws and seal those penetrations through the bottom skin with thickened epoxy.

An 'overhaul' is usually less time consuming ... but will not correct a 'wet core'. Since a lot of your deck bottom skin is already penetrated by too long screws, pull a few and investigate for core rot. For those areas not penetrated, simply use a VERY small diameter drill bit and 'investigate' from the underside - wet brown drillings from the deck underside will make you 'very sad'.
post #16 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Hm. Ok. I suppose it is worth trying to fix this. Perhaps it isn't that bad. I guess hosing down the deck and seeing what is happening on the bottom won't damage anything.

If i remove the screws, what is the best way to seal those holes? Use caucking on the hole and screw it back down to seal it or use epoxy in every hole and then screw back? If i want to go through each screw to make sure they are watertight, i would remove the screw, add Caucking in the hole and then rescrew the bolt? Then if it is poking from the other side, trim the tip?
post #17 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

I think I'm still in the 'remove it' camp. With the teak gone you can properly survey the deck surface, get a better idea of any damage or water penetration, fill and fair the holes and end up with a better nonskid and a cooler boat esp if you use a light colour on deck.

It's unlikely much of that wood will be reusable below, esp if its been glued as well as screwed.

If you do decide to keep it be sure to get a router and clean up the overhanging edges on the hatches and cockpit - you can see it's already split away, probably from people stepping on the unsupported edges.

But at the end of the day I think you'd be happier with it gone..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #18 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

I suppose i will have to see.

The thing is that in the cockpit, on the side seats i was working on closing up the holes from an old throttle assembly and there is teak there on those seats. Well when i looked below the compartment, there were 3 about 2 Intch holes in the fiberglass just as if someone ripped off something through the surface.

The teak was installed on top of that.

So my theory is that if someone was bored enough to not even bother closing up those holes, then what i can expect from the rest of the work.

I come to the boat every morning and do some work on it, and under the rudder assembly those compartments have always some water just because there is humidity on the seats which i suppose leaks through the teak to the inside.

Anyways, will have to see what to do. I am all for removing this teak and honestly removing or fixing the core isn't all that difficult for me. The boat is relatively small and i don't think the entire core is gone.

Will be pondering about this while i replace bulkheads and making cabinets in the interior.

One more thing. The rigging, some veins for the jib and some handles are fixed to the Teak deck. I can see the teak being swallen on those spots, the rails which also are fixed between the teak became slack and even the rigging fixtures have swallen edges. I just can't imagine how i can tighten those things without a steady and solid base.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

One more thing i wanted to ask.

Why should i paint the deck with Non Skid? Can't i just paint it with a normal deck paint and then add NonSkid material on top in selected areas? My thinking is that it will be more difficult to sand down a non skid paint (of which there is a very small selection here) and removing a film of non skid material (sand paper like) is much simpler and the surface remains smooth to seal or sand if needed.

Am i correct on this or am i off?
post #20 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcity View Post
One more thing i wanted to ask.

Why should i paint the deck with Non Skid? Can't i just paint it with a normal deck paint and then add NonSkid material on top in selected areas? My thinking is that it will be more difficult to sand down a non skid paint (of which there is a very small selection here) and removing a film of non skid material (sand paper like) is much simpler and the surface remains smooth to seal or sand if needed.

Am i correct on this or am i off?
You might want to do a search on this, and check out these threads.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...deck-pads.html

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...rid-stuff.html

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in