Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Teak Deck Fix or Remove? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Re: Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Teak Deck Fix or Remove?

Thank you Ron about this. Will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcity View Post
....I guess hosing down the deck and seeing what is happening on the bottom won't damage anything.....
Use a sprinkler and let it run for hours, like actual rain. A hose often blasts water out of the way, but a sprinkler will let it pool up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcity View Post
I suppose i will have to see.

The thing is that in the cockpit, on the side seats i was working on closing up the holes from an old throttle assembly and there is teak there on those seats. Well when i looked below the compartment, there were 3 about 2 Intch holes in the fiberglass just as if someone ripped off something through the surface.

The teak was installed on top of that.

So my theory is that if someone was bored enough to not even bother closing up those holes, then what i can expect from the rest of the work.

I come to the boat every morning and do some work on it, and under the rudder assembly those compartments have always some water just because there is humidity on the seats which i suppose leaks through the teak to the inside.

Anyways, will have to see what to do. I am all for removing this teak and honestly removing or fixing the core isn't all that difficult for me. The boat is relatively small and i don't think the entire core is gone.

Will be pondering about this while i replace bulkheads and making cabinets in the interior.
The pics of your teak deck don't 'look' all that bad, just typical of a deck that hasn't had much maintenance over the past few years but a lot of 'surface abuse'. If an assay of the coring proves that the deck for the most part is not wet, then a simple 're-bunging', seam recaulking, and a light sanding is all thats needed to make it through another 6-7 years ... longer if you use a 'sealer' to prevent 'UV burn' of the bare teak. Re-caulking is easy if you have a fein tool with a caulked seam tool .... looks like the letter 'j'; plus, having a small 'laminate trimmer' with a made-up 'jig' to hold the trimmer in the groove as you 're-rout' it back to proper depth and then add a 'bond breaker' (1/4" mylar tape) in the bottom of the groove.

There is absolutely nothing available on the planet that provides better footing on a wet & pitching deck than teak decking.

FWIW - the probable 'best' caulk available these days is TDS single part, 'oxime' cure caulk ... no messy filling of caulking gun 'sausages'; downside is that it only has a shelf life of about 12 months when 'unused'. The grooves and ends of the strakes HAVE to be totally dry for this stuff to 'stick well'.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=1518
Semco is one of the best 'sealers' available ... slosh on every 6 months, if you're not deep ocean sailing where constant 'solid' green water (at about 8 pH / relatively high caustic content) coming 'down hard' onto the deck will strip Semco. A mixture of 1/3rd each of Semco, Teak Wonder, and Thompson's (carmel) Waterseal is even longer lasting @ 1-2 years; but can be, a royal pain to remove if it goes 'blotchy'.
If you do restore, consider to get yourself a set of 3/8" combination "Counterbore + countersinks" for reboring the bung holes - two steps in one when you use a portable drill press, .... and with a 3/8" 'forstner' bit which 'cuts and grinds' instead of 'rips and splits' the holes. Just use epoxy on those bung holes already 'split'.
For the easiest and if you don't have a lot of wet coring spots, consider to removethe teak and all those (2-3000?) damn screws, lightly re-'mill' the teak and laminate the teak to the deck with epoxy, then simply re-bung using epoxy to 'seal' the bungs in place.

Last edited by RichH; 05-14-2017 at 04:33 PM.

post #24 of 29 Old 05-15-2017 Thread Starter

Will have to do some more tests and investigation on this. Thank you for the info. I have a lot of work on the boat besides this for now so i will be doing some pondering and check the condition thoroughly.

There is one "Soft" spot on the front deck about 1m in diameter on which when i stand it can be pressed down and up. There is also a long crack in the teak on that spot.

I suppose it all depends on how much energy i will have after dealing with everything else to assess the situation and tear or not tear it all.
post #25 of 29 Old 05-17-2017
Old enough to know better

If you don't have a lot of experience with sailing I would just make the boat safe sale for a few years. Then I would assess at that point if I want to fix the boat up or start with a different boat
This sounds like a lot of work for such as small boat. Unless there is a reason you want this specific boat. You likely will be able to find a better condition boat for a lot less money then to fix this one up. Unless fixing the boat up is the goal rather than actually sailing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
RichH, capttb and Minnewaska like this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #26 of 29 Old 05-17-2017 Thread Starter

Boats here are all in the same condition (especially sail boats). People who know how to take care of them don't own them and those who own them don't know how to take care of them.

I am not a rich man and don't think i will ever be able to afford a larger - better condition one if i even find such a thing. I would rather prefer to have one boat and make it as i want it and up to my standards. Also i don't like the idea of changing up boats. 28ft is large enough for me and well worth the effort as i can sail it my self without any help and can manage it.

Sure fixing it up is all part of the adventure but as i can actually do it i don't mind it. I sail it every weekend while i work on it during the week when i can so its not like it is sitting there not being used.
post #27 of 29 Old 11-18-2017 Thread Starter

Not sure if anyone is interested but i decided to fix the teak. I can't say it was easy and i am not done yet but today i finished recaulcking the deck, seats in the cockpit are done and i ended up replacing some planks. Overall i think it is worth it considering how much even a small piece of teak is worth at least here. Also i like the classic look so it just adds to my satisfaction

Oh and i redid the entire boat at least from the outside. Stripped it to fiberglass, fixed all the cracks and patched it up well, repainted, made new windows for the boat, fixed essentially most of the wood, fixed the engine, added a second engine and in general tidied it all up. Am not finished yet (probably never will be) but at least it is all sealed up from the outside so when the rain starts i can work on the interior in piece.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171118_155719570_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171118_155711344_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171105_141648812_HDR.jpg   IMG_20171105_141639593.jpg   IMG_20171031_164352.jpg  

post #28 of 29 Old 11-18-2017

Forehatch and cockpit look great, cabin house too!..

Good on ya, keep us posted on progress.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #29 of 29 Old 11-18-2017 Thread Starter

I was wondering, can i use Teak Oil Sealer on mahogany? I have the boarding ladder from Vetus and those steps are mahogany but i just can't stop thinking about that wood being left to the elements like that. Would it be ok if i use the Teak oil sealer on those?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in