Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Teak Deck Fix or Remove? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-07-2017 Thread Starter

Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Teak Deck Fix or Remove?

The Jeanneau Poker i got came with a Teak deck which was laid out by the previous owner and i suppose hasn't been cared for for at least 5 years, on the Fiberglass boat. I am not sure if it was like this from factory but from all the images i have seen of the Poker it doesn't have it. My concern is that the screws which are in some cases poking from the other side within the interior will leak when winter comes. I was considering removing the teak and just repainting the boat deck. The wife says it looks better with the wood but i am the one who has to make sure it is watertight on the deck.

I can see in some places the actual wood is a bit swollen where there are handles on the hatches as well as some light cracks on the edges of the seat. I am not sure what is under the wood nor how well it is sealed.

I was thinking of removing every single screw and adding some caulking and re-screwing to seal it but i don't know if the fiberglass is cracked anywhere or in general what the condition is underneath.

Overall it looks descent except for the caulking needing to be replaced and the wood sanded and perhaps some oil laid over it.

My question is, would you guys suggest i rip it off and seal the deck properly as well as paint it to its white finish? The teak isn't all that new and although i like it, i wouldn't want my interior to be destroyed after the first rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-07-2017

Re: Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Teak Deck Fix or Remove?

Screws protruding through the deck structure??? Doesn't sound good. Hope you got this boat for free - or close to it....

I think I'd get rid of the teak and fill/fair/paint the deck if for no other reason than future peace of mind. Also the added weight of a teak deck on a small boat is not a good thing.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 29 Old 05-07-2017

Do you have any photos? I agree that teak on a 28-foot boat would add quite a bit of extra weight. I've heard people on here debate the pros and cons of oiling teak as opposed to letting it weather naturally. Some people say that the oiled teak gets slick and is easier to slip on when the deck gets wet.

I always wonder about the wisdom of any modification that adds more holes to a fiberglass boat on either deck or hull.

Also, thinking about long term maintenance, you will have to make future decisions about how often to refinish the teak and how often you will need to rebed all of the screws. One benefit of removing all the teek is it will significantly reduce those future maintenance tasks.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-08-2017 Thread Starter

Tnx guys,

Sorry no photos (was always working on it and didn't make any yet).

I think i will finish sanding and stripping the interior and will remove the teak before i start patching and painting. Will definitely have an ease of mind when i know that there is no water getting in and what is underneath those planks on the deck
post #5 of 29 Old 05-08-2017

This sounds like a DIY job done poorly. Assuming you have a cored deck, it is almost certainly full of water. Get the teak off and see what you are dealing with.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 29 Old 05-08-2017

Because it sounds like a previous owner added the deck I wonder if it's really solid teak or plywood ? Can you see the edges or judge the thickness ? In a perfect world you'd want to strip, fill all the holes, then have to address the deck surface itself. This is a large size time sucker, if the PO glued AND screwed the deck down, it could be REALLY tough.

"Just call me TB"
post #7 of 29 Old 05-08-2017 Thread Starter

From the looks of it it really is teak, about 5 - 5mm thick though. I think i'll just remove it all as i really want to make sure the boat is watertight. Don't like holes i cannot see anyways.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Here is how my teak looks. Is this worth saving or just take it out and reuse it for the interior?
Attached Thumbnails
teak5.jpg   teak4.jpg   teak3.jpg   teak2.jpg   teak1.jpg  

post #9 of 29 Old 05-14-2017

Hard to tell if it was glued down. If it was, it would be a nightmare to return it to non-skid. I bet the teak hasn't swollen around the handles, rather the surrounding decking has worn away.

I see a row of bungs in one of the pics. Do you have them about every 12-18 inches along the entire length? If so, it was definitely screwed down and you stand a chance it wasn't glued as well. However, even a glued deck has some screws to hold down the ends. When a premade sheet is used, screws are often set through the grooves to hold it down, while the glue dries. These should be removed afterward and the holes filled, but often are not. The black caulk is frequently applied over the screw heads, which is not ideal.

All screwed down decks leak. If there is enough thickness, you could reef out all the black caulk, replace the bungs, trowel in new caulk and power sand the deck. Caulking the edges requires some masking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

The thing is that the bolts which are supposed to be filled, are not removed and most are sticking through the fiberglass interior. Also in some places like in the cockpit i can even see large hols covered by the teak. My suspicion is that the bolts waren't removed, the water got into the interior and this is why i am peeling away with a multitool the paint from the interior hull right now.

The only thing i am afraid of is that when i do the interior, i don't know how watertight the deck is or in what state it is underneath. So i don't mind sanding down the deck and repainting it . The Teak does look nice but would need lots of fixing so i am in a bit of a crossroad here.

My thought was to remove everything that looks dodgy and make the boat is it was intended. Teak is nice and all but i am just not sure it was installed properly, it is pretty worn away and would need as you mentioned sanding, caucking and removing all those bolts and resealing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in