Bukh DV10 General questions & inquiry - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-08-2017 Thread Starter

Bukh DV10 General questions & inquiry

Hi everyone,

On my new (old) boat Jeanneau Poker 28 there is a Bukh DV10 engine from what i could gather. I have been working on engines for as long as i can remember but this is my first marine engine to speak off. From what i have read though they seem to be very reliable if properly mentained.

I know that this is not the original engine which came with the boat but i really don't mind as long as it works.

When i started it, the RPM's in idle sounded like very low, at about 1 stroke per second. My slip neighbor suggested i raise the RPM's so that when i back up and go forward the engine doesn't turn off by it self and has some power to go into reverse if needed. (i was skeptic about this since there is a pretty large flywheel on the front of the engine)

So i raised the throttle settings for it to sound more like what i have seen on Youtube and it does seem to respond better but when i took it out for the first time, i had some issues where the gear wouldn't disengage from Forward or Reverse and at some point i even got a bit nervous when i was backing up and couldn't get the lever to pop into neutral.

Is the gear shift sticking due to the high RPM's of the boat? Is the Low RPM normal for this engine?

Also the engine is mounted without any shock absorbers on the engine mount and it does give out vibrations which i assume is normal but i am afraid that at some point the wood or something else will give way as the boat shakes especially in low RPM's.

Could someone share some thoughts on this and give out some pointers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-08-2017

Re: Bukh DV10 General questions & inquiry

Did the engine stall before you adjusted it?
What about gear oil?
post #3 of 24 Old 05-08-2017 Thread Starter

No the engine wasn't stalling but the throttle range was really low. I mean at full throttle it wasn't spinning up too much as if the throttle arm was loosened and adjusted for lower RPM's. I just didn't want to worry of the engine stalling while i was at sea for the first time.

Haven't checked the gear oil, just engine oil.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-08-2017

Single cylinder diesels, especially as the HP goes up, will tend to vibrate quite a lot. Soft mounts can be a problem as increased motion of the engine can create issues with shaft alignment and stuffing box wear.

With that large flywheel the engine may not stall when put in gear at low revs, especially if the prop isn't too great a pitch - but often the gear ratios in reverse can make that a bit of a problem.

Who made the gear? Does she shift smoothly INTO gear, and just stick trying to come back to neutral? Maybe try lowering the idle revs again and see if it makes a difference?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 24 Old 05-08-2017 Thread Starter

The engine goes into gear really smooth actually, its just that i tested the throttle at low RPM's and it seems the range is low at full throttle so i adjusted the limits a bit more. Will try a new lever as well and connections as well as lowering it back down to test before i go out again. Cheesh Even the throttle needs changing.

Not sure who made the gear. It seems to be the default gearbox and engine setup i see all over YouTube.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-08-2017

Idle rpm 900-1200
http://earlhill.de/files/Bukh_DV10_D...hop_Manual.pdf

The dv10 has got counter weights and large flywheel to reduce vibration.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-10-2017 Thread Starter

Tnx for the quick reply. I did lower the RPM's so it seems to shift smoother now.

A Different question now.

Could someone please tell me what this is in the image circled in Red? I really am new to Marine equipment and i am guessing it has something to do with the water / Shaft mating connection. Any info on this would be appreciated. It seems to have a screwable piston on the brass casing but i really have no clue what this is. (Image attached)
Attached Thumbnails
this.jpg  
post #8 of 24 Old 05-10-2017

Very unusual... but I'm guessing that that is a lubricated shaft seal and the brass thingy is a grease reservoir/grease gun - give the screw a twist every so often to push some lube through, when the screw hits the bottom, open it up and refill.

We use a similar concept in industry, but first time I've seen something like that in this application. As a bonus, though, it might create a totally dry shaft gland...

Interesting..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 24 Old 05-10-2017
Wes

Yup,

As Faster says...Google and read up on "stuffing boxes" and "packing glands" and "shaft seals"...you'll run across a mention of a grease reservoir scenario..

Wes

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith
post #10 of 24 Old 05-10-2017 Thread Starter

Once again thank you guys. I really appreciate the info.

By the way here is the photo of the engine. I am assuming this is the Bukh DV10 as i haven't found the actual letters on it but it does look like it from all the docs i found.

I took off all the hoses and filters to do a simple service but when I opened up the Heat sensor/Thermostat housing, there wasn't a thermostat there. Also from all the docs the DV10 has the temp sensor on the side where on mine it is screwed on the top cap.

Another thing is that where the thermostat should be there is a small assembly with some metal parts and spring which are held by a pin. Those parts seem to be destroyed and the pin bent. I am guessing i need to put it all back as on the documentation and add the actual thermostat. Thinking on where i would find those small parts though. Sent Bukh.co.uk an E-mail. Hope they can help.

Had a look at some part pricing, seems a bit steep.

The engine is also missing the Stop solenoid and the air filter. Saw the price of the air filter box... 200 EU minimum. Thinking of adding a simple car filter instead and housing. Should be better than nothing. Also don't think i need those specific filters from Bukh do i? Simple Diesel Oil and Fuel filter will do as long as it screws on the threads, right?
Attached Thumbnails
engine.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in