Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Spreaders - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

Re: Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Spreaders

Careening a keelboat at the dock is one way to gain an appreciation for what 'righting moment' is all about.

It's very difficult to do, and hard on the halyard sheaves and exit boxes unless you use the Spinnaker halyard - assuming you have one.

Getting a fair lead to a neighbour's dock is tricky. I suppose in tidal areas with a fixed dock you could tie off and let the tide do the work for you, but even then the boat is going to want to skid all over the place as it's pulled over and you need to constantly tend lines. You also need a lot of space (not between fingers) to avoid putting the keel into the float as the boat heels over.

We have done this with a light 24ft/2600 lb/700lb ballast day racer - it was no picnic.

Doing this against a tall pier at low tide is much more do-able, however it's always surprising how tall a rig on even a smallish boat is against a 'tall' pier.

In many ways perhaps renting a manlift is an option.

Going to the spreader tips on a halyard, btw, is no biggie. just have a lanyard you can tie to the shroud, or wrap your legs around it.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-14-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

I regularly ascend the mast of our 26 foot boat...I couldn't even sway the ship let alone capsize it. Think about the side forces in a good wind.

If it's the outboard end of the spreader that is raised, perhaps you can just pull it down from the deck using a long dock stick , or pike pole etc.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

All good suggestions, thank you. I think pulling down the mast from the dock is a pretty risky job. I don't think i can do that on my own and i can only imagine what forces are needed there. I think climbing up and fixing the issue is the most reasonable approach. Just pulling and pushing the spreader won't fix the issue since i assume there is an assembly which holds the line there and clamps it.

Anyways, while the climb rig arrives (i suppose i will need one in the future since i still need to install the Radar, Antenna and other things to the mast)i have plenty to do inside and out of the boat

Did a small sail today, just with the main sail at half reef. Was pretty exciting. Wasn't pushing the boat a lot, just to do a simple sail.

Yes, i do have the Main Sail, Jib (i am assuming it is the jib as it has a pretty hefty line inside it and shackles to slide on the fore stay, Spinnaker and one other sail which looks like a jib but as i am not a very experienced sailor yet i haven't figured out what that one is.

Also besides the Jib halyard i have one more rope which is on the very last pulley and is sort - of tied in a loop, i suppose that one is for raising the spinnaker? Don't have a pole for the spinnaker though. Am assuming i have an asymmetric spinnaker but haven't even opened it up yet. Still have some way as i am sailing slowly and raising each sail litle by litle every time. Also had to rig the sails my self as there was noone to help. Few books and some common sence did the trick though.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

I just did this Friday. The yard didn't adjust the spreaders when they set the mast last week and both spreaders were angled down by 10 degrees or more.
So before tuning, I just climbed to the spreaders (with both main and Spinnaker halyard attached for help and safety) and nudged the spreaders into place before tuning the rig. Took about 5-7 minutes total.

Our boat is 30ft and the climb is pretty easy and the boats feels totally solid with me up the mast (I'm about 180#).

I think most 28ft boats with reasonable keels would be fine too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Towguy likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcity View Post
Also besides the Jib halyard i have one more rope which is on the very last pulley and is sort - of tied in a loop, i suppose that one is for raising the spinnaker? Don't have a pole for the spinnaker though. Am assuming i have an asymmetric spinnaker but haven't even opened it up yet. Still have some way as i am sailing slowly and raising each sail litle by litle every time. Also had to rig the sails my self as there was no one to help. Few books and some common sence did the trick though.
If the third halyard is on an external pulley at the masthead it's likely your spinnaker halyard. Probably tied off in a loop because it's not in use.

Take your spinnaker out of the bag and fold it in half on the ground lengthwise. If the clews (lower corners) line up you have a symmetrical and will need a pole.. if not it will be a cruising spinnaker of some sort that can be flown off the bow of the boat on a tack line - no pole.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
fgcity (05-15-2017)
post #16 of 18 Old 05-15-2017

While I agree that climbing to the spreaders is much less leverage, I've been assuming this is a climb to the top, as it's sounded like the rig has never been inspected. Let alone the sheaves, blocks, etc, one would be hanging from.

Maybe I'm a bit biased about lateral stability. I haven't been 180lbs, since I weighed in for football camp during freshman year of high school. I'm never climbing a mast on a 28ft boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-15-2017

Good points about knowing the condition of the rig before you go up.
I have no issues going up the mast of my 25 footer in calm conditions, you are not going to be swinging back and forth so the weight stays centered over the keel anyway.
I alway put a loop around the mast back to the harness so I can't swing away from the mast.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #18 of 18 Old 05-15-2017

It would seem the OP will/may have to swing out to the end of the spreader anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in