Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Spreaders - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Spreaders

Hi everyone.

One thing i noticed on my new boat is that the spreaders on the mast seem to be pretty much misaligned (one is higher than the other.

Is this something that i should look into? Is there something that should hold the cable and spreader or are those things just free floating? If this needs adjustment do i need to take the mast down?

I know the picture shows them being symmetrical but that's just the angle i took the shot. One really is higher than the other on the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
spreaders.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

Re: Jeanneau Poker 28ft - Spreaders

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum.

It would seem you did not have a survey done of the boat, or this would have been identified. The standing rigging is important for both sailing efficiency and safety. If you're unfamiliar, I highly suggest hiring a professional rigger to spend a few hours with you. Knowing the rig is safe and properly tuned is huge. A 28ft boat is on the bubble over whether one can climb the mast. Depends a bit on the weight of the climber too.

I'm not specifically familiar with your rig. With a pair binoculars, you should easily be able to tell if the shrouds are free floating through the end of the spreaders.

It's worth the initial investment in the pro and you may be able to take it from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Unfortunately where i live there are no "Pro's". Also i got the boat almost for free so survey's aren't something you can easily get down here unless you have serious money. I suppose it is the Pro's that brought this boat to the state it is in right now. I like doing things my self and not relying on others and i am thinking of getting those Mast Climbers to get up there and check. The line seems to have been fixed at the upper portion on the right spreader and for some reason slipped.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

No such thing as a free boat. One just hopes that rigging, decking, engines, etc, don't cost more to repair than she's worth. Be careful climbing your mast. Definitely not alone.

It's helpful if you include your general location in your profile, so members can suggest local solutions. If you're in the US, Jeanneau USA in Annapolis can likely get you the rigging specs for your boat.
olson34 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 18 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

It wasn't free but whatever i got from selling my bike i bought the boat with I don't mind the work and service. For me its fun, i have all the tools and don't have a problem rebuilding it. The rigging seems fine, the engine i just finished servicing and defauling was done on it last year.

I am located in Cyprus (Europe). Things aren't really done here "by the book" since those who laid out the teak, painted the boat and did the engine swap did a job worse than a car mechanic. So i suppose noone is going to give my boat more love and care then my self.

Unfortunately Alone is what i had in mind just about as with everything else. I suppose if i take it slow and do it properly, there shouldn't be a problem (i am a rock climber so i am not new to rigging and safety)
post #6 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

In short - Yes your spreaders should be at the same angle.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #7 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcity View Post
...I am located in Cyprus (Europe)...
Very cool. We'll look forward to hearing more about sailing there. There should be rigging companies not too far away, or sail to them maybe? (if she's safe)

Quote:
Unfortunately Alone is what i had in mind just about as with everything else. I suppose if i take it slow and do it properly, there shouldn't be a problem
The primary issue is whether the boat has enough ballast to stay upright, with your weight on the mast. The further up you go, the more tenuous. Perhaps you have a place to cleat down both sides of the boat to make it safer. Some smaller boats are nimble enough to actually take a halyard, attach it to shore and pull the mast over. Obviously, if this is possible, you shouldn't be up on it. I just don't know, with your particular boat.

Rock climbing would certainly help with knots and agility. There are some things pretty unique to climbing a mast, like the ballast I mentioned, or preferring a line that goes through a sheave, not a block hanging off a crane, as examples. By the way, always tie a knot to your chair, do not use a shackle.

All the best with your project.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #8 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

I don't think there's going to be an issue with going up the mast on a 28 footer esp if the OP is of average weight- esp if just to the spreaders.

The angle between spreader and shroud should be equal above and below, ideally, and often there are clamps or the spreader tip is wired onto the shrouds to prevent slippage. If the angle get too far from that shroud tension can cause the spreader to move if the tip is not held fast somehow.

The last thing you want is a slack leeward shroud to detach from the spreader while you're sailing and you fail to notice. The next tack will result in mast failure since the cap shroud is no longer in place.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #9 of 18 Old 05-14-2017 Thread Starter

Tnx about this. The boat has a pretty long and heavy Keel so i doubt it will actually flip, if anything it may lean a bit. Will be carefull though and tie up the boat well before i go up there.

I guessed so about the spreader clamps. Will have to go the first time and see what is actually there and if it can't be fixed, will at least know what to replace.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-14-2017

I am no expert on masts and rigging and such,(but learning fast), but I would think the idea of using the halyard to pull the boat over to one side along a pier or dock may be a good options hen one may still have to use a table or stepladder to work off of , this will also take the preasure off the shroud /spreader you are wanting to adjust,,,also if you just go up the mast you have to reach out to the end of the spreader to deal with it,,,,,just my thoughts on a rainy day....Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.

Last edited by Towguy; 05-14-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in