Bukh DV10 Slow Throttle & Black Exhaust smoke - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-02-2017 Thread Starter

Bukh DV10 Slow Throttle & Black Exhaust smoke

Hi everyone.

While i have been fixing up my Jeanneau Poker, i have been using the engine as my generator to run the power tools and other things.

When i initially got the boat a couple of months ago, it was (still is) in a pretty rough shape. The engine filters haven't been changed, belts needed replacement and some hoses leaking. The engine was running fine though.

So i did a small service, changed the filters, added an air filter, changed the oil and in general cleaned it up a bit.

The problem started though a couple of weeks ago. The engine while was starting before from firts try and right away, now needs few cranks to get going. Also dies few times before revs up.

The Exhaust now gives lots and lots of black smoke, which is lowered when the engine heats up but never goes completely away.

The throttle takes almost 10 seconds to begin revving after i actually pull the throttle lever.

Could someone tell me what is happening and what could be the cause for all this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-02-2017
Dirt Free

Re: Bukh DV10 Slow Throttle & Black Exhaust smoke

Does not sound good but always try the simple things first , remove the air filter you fitted, If it is non-OE it may be choking the engine. If that does not work it could be rings or injectors or injection pump ..... ouch !

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-02-2017
Master Mariner

Over-fueling is the primary cause of black smoke from the exhaust of a heavy duty diesel engine. Over-fueling can be caused by diesel fuel injector wear that enlarges the nozzle hole or erodes the injector needle and allows excess fuel to flow into the combustion chamber.
I think you probably had an injector fail. Not the cheapest fix, but at least its not a lot of work to pull and replace injectors. Pull them all and send them to a shop that specializes in them. Ask a big rig repair shop for the name of a shop and stay away from the 'marine' scene and save some money.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 12 Old 07-03-2017 Thread Starter

Tnx guys. Will check all possibilities. Hopefully i can have it back and running soon. My suspicion is the air filter though as it started once i installed it on.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-03-2017

It sounds like you have been running the engine at low load for extensive periods. Diesels don't like that. If you don't have power where you are working on the boat, better to get a small portable generator.

One thing to check is the exhaust elbow. Your extended period of low power running may have plugged it up with carbon deposits.
oysterman23 likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter

I removed the air filter and not much changed. I did find a used pump and injector but before i go ahead and bu those, could all this be caused by too much oil?

I did pour more than needed and i can see oil patches (not as much oil as stains filling up around the boat) when i try to start it.

Could the throttle slow response (almost non existent at the beginning) and the smoke be cause by too much oil? All this started after i serviced the engine.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-09-2017 Thread Starter

Well, i removed almost a liter of oil from the engine as it seems i overdid it.

The smoke is very minimal now and only at the start when it is cold. It does take few more cranks to get it going but when it does the throttle response is fine now. I filled the tank with some injector cleaner to clean the internals a bit.

I remember that the engine was starting before from first try with very little effort before. Not sure why it isn't now but i did notice that the Return line which is coming from the fuel filter was going into the tank into a port which didn't have a hole. Perhaps the pressure was building up and was starting faster. Fixed it now so the excess fuel leaks back into the tank as it should.

Ordered also a spare fuel pump and injector just in case.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-12-2017

And be very careful about running the engine as a generator (risk of carbon monoxide). There have been a number of cases in the UK where there have been deaths caused on boats by CO poisoning whilst the engine has been running, but the boat stationary, but battery -charging, etc. (Google "MAIB" (Marine Accident Investigation Branch) and "Vasquez", or "Love for Linda" for 2 most recent cases, but there have been others).
Andrew
post #9 of 12 Old 09-13-2017

1) Diesels thrive on hard, constant work that keeps them up to working temperature for most of the time. What they don't like is frequent start-stops, brief periods of operation, rarely reaching design operating temperature, living in a cold, moist atmosphere and infrequent oil changes.
2) Black smoke from exhaust Cause is incomplete fuel combustion. Can be due to injector problems, high load, poor compression and valve wear.
3) A further cause, when black smoke is accompanied by a severe reduction in maximum revs, is blockage of the exhaust manifold/exhaust risers by salts and or carbon build up.
4) Over filling any engine (especially diesels) with oil is dangerous, The normal oil level should only be between the low and full marl (Never Over)

Steve
post #10 of 12 Old 09-27-2017 Thread Starter

Well it wasn't any of those issues but something more drastic.

The one valve was sticking as a result of bad cylinder head gasket. The valve froze, bent the pushrod and the engine stalled.

The people at TW Marine were kind enough to send me a refurbished valve head, new valves, the gasket kit and i also replaced the water pump seals as that may also caused the water to come in. Changed the piston rings just in case, cleaned the whole thing and put it together.

Rebuilt the engine in a day and it purrs like a kitten now.

Also installed a Vetus Exhaust system so the water goes into the box and doesn't just sit inbetween the engine and the outlet. Hopefully this will be the last of my problems as the engine runs like new now. Almost am afraid to have it running now

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in