SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Jeanneau (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/)
-   -   Fiberglass dameged - How to repair? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/jeanneau/329378-fiberglass-dameged-how-repair.html)

Halvard 04-24-2019 02:49 PM

Fiberglass dameged - How to repair?

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone!
I have just purchased my first boat and I'm pretty stoked... I'm eager to learn how to do-it-myself, so I'm here looking for some wise word regarding som repairs I need to make.. And I am wondering in what order I should do stuff.. Wash the boat or start with the bottom?

This is the biggest damage:
(See first pic of attachment)

My plan:
1. Sand around down to the fiberglass
2. Use two-component primer
3. Use some epoxy filler
4. Lay glass over.. Smaller to larger... or was it larger to smaller :D
5. Paint with white topcoat
6. Paint blue and red stripes with spray paint??
7. Change antifouling

This is the second project:
(See the two last pictures in attachment)

My plan:
I have no plan :| What do you think I should do?

Other than the above, I need to remove old antifouling and paint the bottom, and fix a broken handrail from the lift.

PhilCarlson 04-24-2019 03:00 PM

Re: Fiberglass dameged - How to repair?

That'll buff right out.

Halvard 04-24-2019 03:52 PM

What do you mean? How would you fix the above?? Leaving me with suspense here!

Scotty C-M 04-24-2019 03:52 PM

Yes, you can fix this.

Grind it out to clean fiberglass and wood. It looks like you have a wood core there. OK. Now it's all clean, and it's ground down to a slightly concave surface. Build it up slowly with epoxy and fiberglass. I would use a multidirectional weave, but you could use mat or regular glass. Build it up from large to small. You might use a bit of filler to build it up. If you take your time, you can get such a smooth surface that you won't even be able to feel the difference. Finish the surface with gel coat. I'd put a couple of layers of the gel coat to get good color saturation. If you take care, you will match the (white) color perfectly. Match the red with paint, good to go.

A thought about fiberglass work. If you are handy, you can do it. Watch a bunch of YouTube and pick up pointers. Good luck. Oh, remember that saturation is super important. Wet the surface, place the glass, saturate the glass.

Halvard 04-24-2019 04:01 PM

Thanks Scotty C-M!
Now I am feeling more confident, but I'll need to practice on some small repairs first to get the hang of it.

Does someone have any suggesting for getting the deck white and shiny? Do I need to grind it down and rebuild with couple of layers of fiberglass, primer and new gelcoat and kiwigrip, or just wash rinse and polish (I suspect not)?

JimsCAL 04-24-2019 05:28 PM

Read the sticky in the Gear and Maintenance section called Tips for Compounding, Polishing and Waxing.

Scotty C-M 04-24-2019 09:27 PM

Rubbing compound is your friend.....

Halvard 04-24-2019 10:39 PM

Sure looks like it.... Thanks Jim and Scotty!

My to-do-list so far:
Fix holes
Wash deck thoroughly
primer? / anti-fouling
Varnish wood

At last:
compounding, polishing and waxing. Can't wait for it to shine!

Halvard 04-26-2019 12:26 PM

Could anyone suggest a list in order for what engine parts I need to check for full service and repair? I don't know where to begin, and with a list I can google myself to a greater understanding.

Engine:
Yanmar 3GM30, 27 HP, raw water cooled, 1987, 5300 hours