• 1 Post By SV Siren
  • 1 Post By midwesterner
  • 1 Post By BillMoran
  • 1 Post By midwesterner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-30-2018 Thread Starter
Always learning...

S/V Pinniped, Erie, PA

It has finally become a reality, and my wife and I will be joining the sailors of the Great Lakes beginning in 2019. We are wrapping up the purchase of a home-built Ted Brewer Jason 35. S/V Pinniped is currently in Erie, PA, and she will keep her name and remain in Erie as her home port. We will be at Perry’s Landing marina next year, but we will be spending some time evaluating our dockage options throughout the season.

We have been sailing dinghies and beach cats for several years, and are looking forward to the challenges (and benefits) of a larger cruiser.

If you happen to see us, feel free to stop by and say hello. We have some family in the area, but no boating family there yet, and meeting people who know things is always beneficial!

Jonathan
BillMoran likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Re: S/V Pinniped, Erie, PA

Welcome aboard jwoy..
jwoytek likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
post #3 of 6 Old 11-30-2018

That's very nice looking boat. A real classic. That should be fun to sail, although I'm thinking she really belongs out at sea.
jwoytek likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
That's very nice looking boat. A real classic. That should be fun to sail, although I'm thinking she really belongs out at sea.
I've sailed a bit on Lake Erie and I'm quite fond of it as a cruising ground. If they ever feel bored by the lake, it's not not too difficult to get to the sea, a lot of my dock neighbors made that trip many times. In fact, many of them seemed to enjoy the journey to the sea as much as the sea itself.
jwoytek likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
I've sailed a bit on Lake Erie and I'm quite fond of it as a cruising ground. If they ever feel bored by the lake, it's not not too difficult to get to the sea, a lot of my dock neighbors made that trip many times. In fact, many of them seemed to enjoy the journey to the sea as much as the sea itself.
That's what I've heard. Loopers (people who like to cruise the entire Great Loop) certainly like it, and some have gone around more than once.
That's actually the title of one Looper's book: Once Around is Not Enough: Cruising the Great Loop. by Captain John Wright
jwoytek likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-01-2018 Thread Starter
Always learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Pinniped has spent all her life (launched 1991) in Lake Erie. She is set up to go further afield, and certainly designed and capable of doing so. There’s a lot of area to explore on the lakes, though, and I can imagine a sailing career lasting us the rest of our physically capable lives just exploring what is there. We spend time every summer in Michigan’s UP, and I have great hopes of eventually exploring that area on Pinniped.

In the short term, there is an awful lot for us to learn. We are getting started later than some (we’re both early-40’s). Just getting fully acquainted with her handling, procedures, sailing performance, etc. will take some time. Going from boats between 350-700 pounds to a boat that is over 16,500 pounds... lots of different skills will need to be developed! Her builder kept things simple and easy, though, so it will be nice to worry somewhat less about systems, and concentrate on the sailing. We are looking forward to the challenges!

Jonathan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in