Lake Huron and The Marvelous North Channel - Page 5 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 59 Old 02-18-2009

Sorry, I meant to add this image to give you an idea on the docking. That's one of our 14' runabouts at the dock. Usually the Bertram is tied up directly aft of it leaving the other side wide open.

Patrick Rea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 Old 02-18-2009

Great pictures Patrick. I was surpirsed to see the picture of the big Beneteau "Beau Geste I" posted. We rafted with them last summer in Marianne Cove for a couple of days along with some other friends.

Dave S
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Catalina 34 - "Good Idea"
post #43 of 59 Old 02-18-2009

Dave, when were you in Marianne's Cove. We were anchored a couple of nights across from Mariannes first week of August.

The island in Marianne's Cove is on the left side of the picture.

post #44 of 59 Old 02-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS271409 View Post
Great pictures Patrick. I was surpirsed to see the picture of the big Beneteau "Beau Geste I" posted. We rafted with them last summer in Marianne Cove for a couple of days along with some other friends.
That's just some of our weekend traffic. The biggest I have seen go by, other than the CCGS SAMUEL RISLEY out of Parry Sound and the Miss Midland, was about 90'-100'. Gets a little crazy going past the Ardilaun Island beacon heading both north and south. I remember one Friday night about 15 years ago, my sister counted a boat every 10 seconds headed north bound into Cognashene and on up to Go Home Bay. And that's just the cottagers. It doesn't include the SeaRay and Carvers "cruising" from South Bay Marina up to Longuissa to drop the hook for 2 days of fishing and beer drinking. Nor does it include the 5 wide rafts inside Frying Pan bay.

Patrick Rea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
post #45 of 59 Old 02-20-2009

scottbr,
We were at Marianne Cove about July 20 (I'm away on business now and don't have my logbook with me with the exact date) I liked the looks of the anchorage on the other side of Baie Fine but the winds would have made it an uncomfortable night. I did some dinghy touring along the bay and found a few other nice hideaways that I would like to try. A dinghy depth sounding exercise in mandatory before going into any of the coves though.
By the first week of August, we were having a very pleasant few days anchored in Cove Island before we started our long trek back to Bayfield.

Patrick
There sure can be a lot of traffic in that area. My daughter was the sailing instructor at Delawana Inn several years ago. I can't imagine taking a CL14 out with a non-sailor into the channels around Delawana! The combination of tight channels, wonky winds with the islands so close and the boat traffic would scare a novice off sailing forever.

Dave S
Georgian Bay, Ontario
post #46 of 59 Old 02-20-2009

Dave
You talking about the Cove island NW of Tobermory?

If so, can you share where? Good for a 42' boat with 5'6" draft?
post #47 of 59 Old 02-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS271409 View Post
Patrick
There sure can be a lot of traffic in that area. My daughter was the sailing instructor at Delawana Inn several years ago. I can't imagine taking a CL14 out with a non-sailor into the channels around Delawana! The combination of tight channels, wonky winds with the islands so close and the boat traffic would scare a novice off sailing forever.
I can't believe they let people take out the kayaks and such into the channel between Royal Island and the Del. Same goes for the PicNic Island rental boats. The traffic is unbelievable through there on a Saturday. I'll have to get a picture of it for the other people around here. At least they moved the kayaks around the corner by the Boat Club.

Ahhh the Do You Wanna Inn. I (barely) remember some great parties there when I was 15-16. Having just turned 40, I can't believe the things we did. At the time, I learned most of my night navigation skills after 1/2 case of beer. Never did hit anything under the influence (except a sandbar in the Little Dog channel).

Patrick Rea

1964 20' Bertram Moppie
post #48 of 59 Old 02-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Dave
You talking about the Cove island NW of Tobermory?

If so, can you share where? Good for a 42' boat with 5'6" draft?
There is a big harbour in Cove Island however you need a little local knowledge to get in. I was in there on a dive boat out of Toby not my own boat but is is quite doable. It is on the south shore.

Gary
post #49 of 59 Old 02-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
There is a big harbour in Cove Island however you need a little local knowledge to get in. I was in there on a dive boat out of Toby not my own boat but is is quite doable. It is on the south shore.

Gary
Looks like there are several, but I have the small scale US charts only so not enough detail to know.
post #50 of 59 Old 02-21-2009

Xort,
Cove Island is a couple of miles north of Tobermory. Don't even think about going anywhere near Cove Island without Cdn Chart 2274 which shows the area including the numerous reefs in excellent detail. There are two anchorages but realistically only one for boats of any size. Don't go into "Boat Passage" which is the northernmost inlet. You can easily get into Cove Island Harbour which is at the south west side of the island. Approach from the south and watch your charts and GPS carefully. The water is very clear and the bottom (rocks!!) are easily seen on the bottom even in 25+ ft of water. After crossing a shoal area carrying at least 10ft if I recall correctly, you will find yourself in a pool 40+ feet deep partially protected from the west by Harbour Island. Line yourself up with the harbour entrance There is a narrow passage but it is easily navigable by favouring the north (port) side of the passage. This is clearly shown on chart 2274 and the shoal on the stbd side is visible in the clear water. We had good holding in about 8 - 10 ft and there is room for at least 6 boats although I have heard of far more in there. It gets shallow near "The Cut" at the SE end which is a narrow passage that has a bit of a reversing falls as the currents ebb and flows out to the big lake.
It is well protected but you can find yourself trapped if a long blow comes up from the west I wouldn't anchor there on a tight schedule.
Although Tobermory is relatively close, I wouldn't recommend dinghying in unless you have a large and robust dinghy or you could fiind yourself trapped in Tobermory or in trouble on the water. (My dinghy is only 8 ft with 3.5hp so judge for yourself!)
After anchoring in a quiet idyllic spot, you will be surprised to see a huge glass bottomed boat full of friendly tourists (Blue Heron V) come charging up the channel and circle the anchorage. That would be a good time to either be ultra cool and ignore them or wave and smile as they take pictures of your beautiful boat anchored in this great spot . If you see Blue Heron V anywhere in the area, feel free to hail the captain on ch 16 and he can give you a report on how many boats are anchored there before you head in.
Have a look at Google Maps and you will have a sense of the comments above. There is a single boat anchored in the middle of the harbour in the Satellite View of Google Maps (or Google Earth at approx 45deg 17' N, 81deg 43' W)
Enjoy!

Dave S
Georgian Bay, Ontario

Last edited by CS271409; 02-21-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added detail on Google

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in