Lake Huron and The Marvelous North Channel - Page 6 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 59 Old 02-22-2009

cs

excellent report, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 Old 02-22-2009

Xort, Marianne Cove is in Baie Fine, NW of killarney.

Dave, we were there Aug. 2 -3. We're actually anchored in about 30 ft. of water. Dropped the anchor and backed into shore and tied off to a tree. We went right down into The Pool, being our first trip up there in our boat. We canoed Killarney years ago including one 2 week trip that took us over the portage past Topaz Lake that ends in The Pool. To us, The Pool was disappointing with all the weeds just below the surface. I had been scoping the coves as we headed in and returned to this one. I had checked the wind direction and the north side of the bay was protected.

The view from the south shore is much better, where you can see the rocky ridge, but it was too exposed to the NW wind. This year we'll check the south shore. This was our afternoon cocktail view, we headed over in the dinghy and let the dog run on the rocks while we enjoyed a beverage and snacks.

post #53 of 59 Old 02-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickrea View Post
I can't believe they let people take out the kayaks and such into the channel between Royal Island and the Del. Same goes for the PicNic Island rental boats. The traffic is unbelievable through there on a Saturday. I'll have to get a picture of it for the other people around here. At least they moved the kayaks around the corner by the Boat Club.

Ahhh the Do You Wanna Inn. I (barely) remember some great parties there when I was 15-16. Having just turned 40, I can't believe the things we did. At the time, I learned most of my night navigation skills after 1/2 case of beer. Never did hit anything under the influence (except a sandbar in the Little Dog channel).

I wouldn't want to take anything small in the channel in front of the Del. or even the beach area over by the Boat Club. The channel in front of the Del. is the busiest in Canada?

It's always amusing when a few kayaks would pull up to our friends cottage on the inside of Mermaid, looking for directions back to the Del.

post #54 of 59 Old 06-02-2009

North Channel route

We are planning a trip to the North Channel from the Midland area and wonder how people select routes to get there? Fast preferably.
Any hints?
post #55 of 59 Old 06-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by namlak View Post
We are planning a trip to the North Channel from the Midland area and wonder how people select routes to get there? Fast preferably.
Any hints?
Where are you in Midland..... we're at Baymoorings

Fastest route is to go out past Giants Tomb and turn right...... only 90 nM from Giants to Killarney..... only 15 hours at 6 knots.

All depends on how fast your boat is and how long you want to sail / motor in a day. We left Penetang on a Thurs. am, motored ( no wind) to Killcoursie Bay ( Killbear Park) left at 7:00 am and motored in the channel up to Point Au Baril and headed across to Killarney, arriving in downtown Killarney at 9:00 pm after being chased around the bay by a late afternoon thunderstorm ( see my pic farther back in this thread). Wind was from the W NW at 10 - 15 knots so we made good speed ( 6.5 knots) and could head directly at Killarney.

Many others choose to stay closer to shore and take 2-3 days up the inside channel or sail out in the Bay and head in to the islands to anchor.

We spent 3 nights in Baie Fine and took more time coming back, stopping in Collins Inlet, Bustard Islands, Shawanagan, then home. Total trip was 9 nights out.

Other options would be to head across to the Bruce Peninsula and up from there.

Best advise is to get the Ports book and study it well, sure saved us a ton of time and guesswork. Also get the strip charts and larger charts to find the routes in and out of the islands and check for updates. They've added a couple of routes into the channel from the Bay.
post #56 of 59 Old 03-26-2015

Re: Lake Huron and The Marvelous North Channel

Yes, the islands in the North Channel are awesome! But small with little campfile wood. What little there is needs to go into the ground for the next generation of trees and plants. If you want to have a fire, please bring your own clean firewood, not carrying asian longhorn beetle. Better still, skip the fire and enjoy the sunset and moonrise.
post #57 of 59 Old 06-15-2018

first I know this is an old thread but it's the best one to ask my question in, unless I start a new thread...

We are going to be up to the north channel in a couple of weeks, for the life of me I can't find this simple information...

Coming from the Cheboygan area going through detour where do you check in to Canada?

I'm sure I can find the answer at my marina but I won't be there for a few days...

So coming from the west where do I check in?
thanks
Bob
post #58 of 59 Old 06-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokid View Post
first I know this is an old thread but it's the best one to ask my question in, unless I start a new thread...

We are going to be up to the north channel in a couple of weeks, for the life of me I can't find this simple information...

Coming from the Cheboygan area going through detour where do you check in to Canada?

I'm sure I can find the answer at my marina but I won't be there for a few days...

So coming from the west where do I check in?
thanks
Bob
Thessalon could be a good option.

Here is an interactive map with checkin points.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/se...-sdtm-eng.html
post #59 of 59 Old 06-16-2018

thank you Arcb!!

funny when you google checking into Canada in the north channel I didn't see that... Guess the kids have that on us older guy's!!!

thanks again
Bob

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in