SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Using Jib and Genoa at the same time to create spinnaker

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  svHyLyte 
#1 ·
I haven't tried this but it keeps sticking in my head. Could you raise both the hank on jib and genoa on the same forestay? You could pole one out or both if need be. Do you think this would work?

#2 ·
Yes, it could be done... but.... are the hoists identical? If you used one halyard then neither sail is likely to get proper luff tension.. do the hanks 'align' in a good way? Using two halyards, if the hanks don't interfere you might get some decent set, but both need releasing to drop either..

And it would be a handful on the foredeck when it does all come down. All in all it's probably easier to use main and headsail..

#5 ·
Boats set up for flying twin jibs often have double forestays so each jib is hoisted on its own forestay. That way the hanks don't interfere with each other. A double-slotted roller-furler setup could work the same way. You obviously need two halyards to do this, and any roller-furler snafus would be twice as bad as they might have been otherwise. Most often people seem to fly two jibs of the same size - as in the photo above . This helps to keep the forces even and make it easier to steer a straight course.

#7 ·
I've seen a light air 'drifter' that was a 2 ply sail on a common luff... tie the clews together to use it as a light air 'genny', split them on separate sheets and open it up butterfly style for running.. might make more sense than fighting two separate sails on hanks. - plus equal areas as you suggest.

#9 ·
I have raced downwind on a boat flying the mainsail and twin gennys on a furler with two slots, in 18-25 kt winds. The boat was extremely stable, with no rolling at all. The second genny increased our boat speed about 3/4 kt. or more. With all three sails flying, the steering angle is narrow. You have to find the angle where the wind can get to all three sails without having one of the gennys blanketed by the mainsail. We tried it with one genny poled out and with both of them flying free, and they worked well both ways.

#10 · (Edited)
This sail configuration is called in german passat sail...
It was developed at a time where wind vanes and autopilots where not very common... So you linked the two sheets back to your tiller or wheel and thus creating an effective self steering system...
But you needed to deploy 2 poles which the majority of the boats don't have, let alone all the lines for that...
Google passatsegel and look for images...

Oh and btw:
In this configuration you do not fly a main and thus the boat tends to roll...
With the main up, the center of effort of the sails is to leeward and hence stabilizing the boat... Without the main, the center of effort is at the centerline and then rolling is only to be expected... ;)

#13 ·
Thanks that is very helpful. Instead of two poles couldn't you just drop the main, secure it and then swing it out and use it as a pole for one of the sails, then use a whisper pole for the other sail? I didn't look too hard at all of the picture but I didn't see someone doing that yet.

Zac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.