Garmin and Polar View ??? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 12-30-2014 Thread Starter
Yo no soy marinero.....

Talking Re: Garmin and Polar View ???

Wow, that's excellent news!! Thank you.

I have just downloaded Garmin Spanner and will install it on the test machine after work.
When the sailing season returns I have an older 12" XP laptop that will be dedicated to this job. I have previously known how to assign virtual serial ports from within Windows - its been a while and I just can't remember the sequence.

Part of the reason for picking the Montana was that it was recommended by Garmin for marine use, could be interfaced, its not only water proof - and It Floats!!!

I will give this a try this evening and report back.
Thanks guys
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 12-31-2014 Thread Starter
Yo no soy marinero.....

Thumbs up Re: Garmin and Polar View ???

Fantastic!!!

Garmin Spanner loaded and cofigured seamlessly; Polar View connected using its port manager; select Live Mode and the system found me even at

N6922.555'
W8148.035'

Absolutely awesome! I'm going to put it through some paces, see how it works with the GPS in simulation mode on some of the NOAA charts of Lake Ontario.

cheers
David

The Walrus, Collins Bay, Lake ON
The Following User Says Thank You to Flint For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (12-31-2014)
post #13 of 16 Old 12-31-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Garmin and Polar View ???

Thank you for the follow up report!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 16 Old 12-31-2014

I am glad that it's working well for you.

I looked a little closer at the Montana specs, and that's a REALLY NICE handheld. Definitely a good next-generation follow-up to the Oregon, with bigger screen and better daylight viewability. However, be careful with it around the water, because I believe that it does NOT float. (Neither does the Oregon.)

I never liked plotting routes on the Oregon - it's just too small. It's much nicer to plot on the computer and transfer to the handheld for use on the boat. I've done this with OpenCPN, and if Polar products will save in .gpx format, you can transfer them. However, it's not as simple as just copying the .gpx file through USB. You need to load it into Garmin PC software and use their software to put it in the device. I bought HomePort to do this, but I believe that their free BaseCamp software will do it also. Give yourself a couple hours to figure it out, because the user interface of all Garmin's PC software really sucks.

If you're trying out free PC software, I'd recommend also trying OpenCPN in addition to PolarView. It has really advanced in features, and will be launching version 4.0 in a week or so. I like it so much that I installed it on a tablet that I mounted in my cockpit as my primary chartplotter. I still use the Oregon to record my tracks, and as a wet weather backup.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #15 of 16 Old 01-02-2015 Thread Starter
Yo no soy marinero.....

Good thing then I didn't rely on it floating. I got it with the marine bulkhead mount so will keep it well secured. The Montana is more like operating your tablet or smart phone. A wide variety of useful applications, most of those apps can be nested into each other in the "Dashboard" feature. So you can quickly toggle back and forth to from Map to Compass. The home-screen can hold most needed icons like "Mark" "MOB" "Where to", while at the same time displaying lots of user selected data in its header.

I'll probably mount it high on the bulkhead and a small XP laptop on an elbow mount, perhaps just inside the companionway.

Simulation mode seems to be entirely internal and does not send data to the serial port.
Even for the $50 Polar View works well. I'll definitely check out Open CPN, thanks. I'm a bit of a tech geek so no doubt I'll be looking for a way to get the system to run the AutoHelm next.

The Walrus, Collins Bay, Lake ON

Last edited by Flint; 01-02-2015 at 12:21 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-02-2015

If you have a leftover XP laptop that you want to repurpose, that's fine. Get a sturdy RAM mount for it.

If you're buying new, I'd suggest a Win8 tablet. Much lighter, better form factor, and tapping icons on a touchscreen is much nicer than moving a mouse cursor with a trackpad. Some of them have internal GPS, so you might not need to run Spanner. There's a whole lot of discussion of this over on the OpenCPN forum - and a few threads that I've posted here. Let me know if you want links. It's too late for me to dig them up now.

By the way, OpenCPN can run my Autohelm in track mode. In my case it's done wirelessly via Bluetooth. There's a really geeky thread here telling how I did the hardware setup. I plot the route in OpenCPN, and the Win8 tablet sends the waypoint information to the autopilot. It can do a whole multi-point route, but more frequently I will just tap a location on the chart, select "navigate to here," and the autopilot will do a straight line route to the waypoint. In lumpy seas, the boat's heading seems to stay more stable in this mode than trying to maintain a constant heading, where the sea oscillations can cause the heading oscillations to get larger over time (despite adjusting the gain). The explanation is complicated, and gets into PID control theory.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-02-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Tags
garmin , gps , interface , polar view , software

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in