Garmin and Polar View ??? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-27-2014 Thread Starter
Yo no soy marinero.....

Question Garmin and Polar View ???

Garmin Montana 600 has USB interfacing for PC based navigation software. I can't figure out the settings for Polar View NV (trial ver) to talk to the GPS unit.

Is there anyone else using a Garmin and Polar View?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

The Walrus, Collins Bay, Lake ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-29-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Garmin and Polar View ???

I am not familiar with the Montana unit, but most garmin chartplotters do not output GPS data on the USB port. The port is for software updates, and POI / track data transfers.

PolarviewNS needs a USB "puck" to work. There is a recommended USB puck in the Polarview document ation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-29-2014 Thread Starter
Yo no soy marinero.....

Yup, the Montana 600 has several types of interface protocol.
This includes NMEA in/out at 4800 & 9600 baud.
Polar View accepts NMEA at both baud.

I've seen The Puck you mentioned, but the PV manual does not state
that its the only device available for interfacing.

I suspect the issue may be in assigning a virtual serial port.

However, I would like to hear from anyone who has interfaced
to a good piece of charting software.

Thanks
David

post #4 of 16 Old 12-29-2014
Learning the HARD way...

I have a Garmin GPSmap 478. I also run PolarviewNS.

The GPSmap 478 has a USB port and outputs NMEA 0183 data on the serial lines that share the power connector. However, it will not output GPS data on the USB port.

Not saying that the Montana is the same, but I suspect that it may be.

I run PolarviewNS on a laptop at the nav station with a GPS puck attached. My GPSmap 478 (at the helm) is connected to my VHF at the NAV station via NMEA 0183 to enable DSC Distress calling. My laptop with the puck and the GPSmap 478 / VHF do not communicate.

Good luck.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-29-2014 at 09:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
Flint (12-29-2014)
post #5 of 16 Old 12-29-2014 Thread Starter
Yo no soy marinero.....

Ooooh. Okay I get ya now

The Montana 600 does: USB serial, Garmin Spanner, NMEA, Text, and something else called RTCM.

I was hoping to be able to plot waypoints and routes on the laptop while the M600 fed live stream data to the software.

So far I have yet to get PV to acknowledge the GPS even for plotting.

d

The Walrus, Collins Bay, Lake ON
post #6 of 16 Old 12-30-2014
Old enough to know better

Doesn't garmin have its own windows application? Could you set it up to see if it is connecting. Then see what settings it uses. You could also try open CPN it is free and they seem to have good support.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
Flint (12-30-2014)
post #7 of 16 Old 12-30-2014

You can do exactly what you want. The Montana can make a great USB puck for your PC, with excellent sensitivity and accuracy.

Garmin Chartplotters and model 478 are totally different devices from your Montana, so their advice is not really relevant to you.

I have the Garmin Oregon, which is very similar to your Montana. The issue is that most programs (Polar, OpenCPN, and other computer software) expect to see NMEA, which is a serial protocol (COM port), but the Oregon/Montana output on USB exclusively. The best way to overcome this is with PC software that runs in the background and takes in the USB feed and redirects it to a virtual serial port. The best free software for this is Garmin's Spanner, which you install on your PC, and then put your Montana into "Spanner" interface mode. The Spanner software creates a virtual COM port to output the data, and you set Polar up to receive the data on that COM port.

Only problem is that Spanner is not formally supported for Windows7 or later. You might get it to install on 32-bit versions of Windows7, but I have not tried it on anything other than XP. For Windows7 and later, Garmin recommends GPSgate, which has a free version that's somewhat crippled, and requires payment for full functionality. It's been so long since I tried it that I don't remember how it works - I used Spanner under XP instead.

I'd recommend trying to get Spanner to install. If your computer runs XP, you'll be in great shape. If you can't get Spanner to install, try GPSgate and let the rest of us know how it works.

Spanner: Garmin: Spanner Updates & Downloads

GPSgate: https://support.garmin.com/support/s...ort/case.faces

If you can't get either of these to work, you can find dedicated GPS pucks with their own software that will do this independently of your Montana. The GlobalSat BU-353 is very popular, and can be found for about $20 if you shop around. I'd pay money for an extra GPS puck before paying money for software that might break with the next Windows release.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 12-30-2014 at 09:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Flint (12-30-2014)
post #8 of 16 Old 12-30-2014
Learning the HARD way...

While I stand corrected about the Montana, I am confused by the some of Takefive's reply.

USB is Universal SERIAL Bus.

Perhaps he means to state that PolarviewNS expects NMEA over a COM port, but this is not the case (USB pucks use USB ports) Older versions of PV-NS required / included a separate application, PolarCom, which mapped USB to COM ports. However, that is no longer necessary, as this function is now embedded in Polarview.

post #9 of 16 Old 12-30-2014
Learning the HARD way...

Bottom line is that a USB puck would be your easiest course of action.

post #10 of 16 Old 12-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
While I stand corrected about the Montana, I am confused by the some of Takefive's reply.

USB is Universal SERIAL Bus.

Perhaps he means to state that PolarviewNS expects NMEA over a COM port, but this is not the case (USB pucks use USB ports) Older versions of PV-NS required / included a separate application, PolarCom, which mapped USB to COM ports. However, that is no longer necessary, as this function is now embedded in Polarview.
USB serial is different from NMEA serial. NMEA 0183 expects RS422, but is also backward compatible with RS232 as long as your wire runs are not too long.

Taking USB input and making it "look like" RS232 on Windows requires COM port emulation, which is always done in software. That software could be embedded in a larger program (you say PolarNavy does this), or it could be a small free-standing serial emulator utility. The latter can be done by Spanner (for Garmin), DeLorme Serial Emulator (for Delorme GPS), GPSgate, etc. But make no mistake, there's always software involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Bottom line is that a USB puck would be your easiest course of action.
I'm not sure that this is any easier, since most USB pucks come with their own software that does the same thing. I haven't bought GlobalSat puck, but the descriptions I've read indicate that it needs its own emulator software too.

His Montana is a GPS puck (with a nice little chart display built in). He just needs software to interface it, just like every other USB puck.

Buying a $20 puck might be the most economical solution, but not really any easier. Any time you deal with interfacing hardware, you have these issues.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
Flint (12-30-2014)

Tags
garmin , gps , interface , polar view , software

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in