discovery sailing, NS? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcwhite

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-19-2015 Thread Starter
<-- best seat on the boat

discovery sailing, NS?

Has anyone had any dealings with Discovery Sailing, in Nova Scotia? I've started talking with the owner about doing some RYA classes with him. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with them, or heard anything through the grapevine?

company: www.discoverysailing.com

(and yes, I live in BC, which is a long way from NS. I'm about to start another thread addressing that)

Mate - S/V Passing Cloud, Victoria, BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-19-2015

Re: discovery sailing, NS?

I took the CYA bare boat skipper course a few years ago from Dave. It was a 5 day live aboard program and was a very good experience. Dave is very knowledgable and Id describe his style as low key but by the book. Mahone Bay is a stunning place to sail.

Im now in Victoria too, having been born and raised in Halifax. The San Juans remind me a lot of Mahone Bay NS so Im sure youll feel comfortable there.

If you want to chat more feel free to PM me and we can get together for a chat.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks c25! I talked to him on the phone, and he seems pretty down to earth. I'm just trying to do my due diligence before potentially flying across the country.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2018

I'm in the same situation... considering doing the trip from California for a Yachtmaster Offshore Prep & Exam (7 days). Any more feedback about Discover Sailing?

@jcwhite - did you end up taking some RYA classes with Dave?

Thanks,
Stephane
post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-2018 Thread Starter

Hey Stephane - yes I did work with Discover Sailing. I would expect him to give a very good Yachtmaster Prep course. I took the Coastal Skipper course with him (5 days, if I recall correctly), also liveaboard. In general it was a very good class, and well taught.

Pros:
Very good base of teaching knowledge, and range of experience
Very good at all the skills and requirements for the courses (has been in the game for a while, and knows it well)
Seaworthy, safe, and well-equipped boat that's just the right size (small enough to mess around with, but b/c of the full keel handles like many larger vessels)

Potential cons: (I say potential because I don't think of them as problems, but I recognize that some people might):
Older boat, so some of the techniques will need to be adapted to a modern fin-keel (but he discussed how that would change anything).
Tendency to get sidetracked in discussions (I think it's great because it lets me learn more, one woman with military background on my course seemed to find it a bit frustrating that we weren't always staying right on track).

In the course I took he only passed 1 of 3 students, which earned him a lot of respect from me. The other two had not been able to demonstrate the skills required, so it was a straightforward call on his part, but nice to see him make it.

In general, I had a lot of fun and would definitely take another class from him if I was around there or it was reasonably cost effective. From Sweden I'm not likely to fly back for my yachtmaster, but if I was still in BC I probably would fly over.
splihon likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to jcwhite For This Useful Post:
splihon (03-06-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in