Docking - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 Old 04-26-2016

Re: Docking

Spring line - but hook it through a small block instead of around the cleat. Flake it out neatly before you back out. It's exactly what I do do get out of my slip. Propwalk pulls me the 'wrong' way. The typical wind blows my bow off the 'wrong' way. I use a simple spring line to counteract that. I _can_ use the gun the hell out of it in reverse then neutral method, but for the 30 seconds it takes me to rig a spring line it's soooo much easier and in control. I use cheaper than cheap polypropylene 3/16 rope from the Home Depot for this.

Why?
#1 - It floats. Less chance of getting caught in the prop
#2 - It's strong enough for it's use, but if it really got hung up it'd likely break. (or it'd be real quick to cut with a knife)
#3 - It's quite cheap.
#4 - It's useful for all kinds of other things on a boat - I currently have a bit of it to hold the liquor bottles onto the shelf.
joyinPNW and Skyeterrier like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 Old 04-27-2016
landofrainandgray

^Skyeterrier:

You didn't say what kind of boat you have but is it possible to back her in perhaps using the prop walk in your favor? Seems leaving the dock bow out in those conditions might help you.

Good luck!
Skyeterrier likes this.

Joy
Folie a Deux
PNW
post #23 of 73 Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptyk View Post
Spring line - but hook it through a small block instead of around the cleat. Flake it out neatly before you back out. It's exactly what I do do get out of my slip. Propwalk pulls me the 'wrong' way. The typical wind blows my bow off the 'wrong' way. I use a simple spring line to counteract that. I _can_ use the gun the hell out of it in reverse then neutral method, but for the 30 seconds it takes me to rig a spring line it's soooo much easier and in control. I use cheaper than cheap polypropylene 3/16 rope from the Home Depot for this.

Why?
#1 - It floats. Less chance of getting caught in the prop
#2 - It's strong enough for it's use, but if it really got hung up it'd likely break. (or it'd be real quick to cut with a knife)
#3 - It's quite cheap.
#4 - It's useful for all kinds of other things on a boat - I currently have a bit of it to hold the liquor bottles onto the shelf.
gptyk, can you explain in detail how you have this line configured? Where on your boat is it attached, where on the dock does it go etc.? Thanks.

post #24 of 73 Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinPNW View Post
^Skyeterrier:

You didn't say what kind of boat you have but is it possible to back her in perhaps using the prop walk in your favor? Seems leaving the dock bow out in those conditions might help you.

Good luck!
Hey joy, this would be a good solution but here is where non-docking considerations come in. My wife feels strongly about us keeping her bow in as there's more privacy with the stern facing the harbor fairway, and a much nicer view from where we spend most of our time on deck.

The boat is a 32 foot Beneteau. Thanks for the input!
post #25 of 73 Old 04-27-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeterrier View Post
Suggestions for best method for leaving my slip would be appreciated.
I'd suggest going into the slip stern first in those conditions if your vessel backs to port. That certainly solves the leaving bit and backing in gives you much more control of the boat until you can get a spring line on her.
As for non docking considerations, some things must take priority over those and safely entering and leaving the slip would be one of those, IMO. Sorry, hun.
seabeau likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 04-27-2016 at 09:52 AM.
post #26 of 73 Old 04-27-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Here are links to docking videos that might be interesting to see what to do and what not to do.

Lets watch others do it, in hard and easy conditions. Just to show what one might have to contend with, we'll start with difficult situations, then going into how to do it. Good and bad.
Might I suggest that instead of watching all these videos, that one might have mastered docking in half the time had one just practiced docking the boat instead? Away from the da*m computer.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 73 Old 04-27-2016
Yamsailor

Another way to think about is to use "The Five Forces"

1) Prop Walk
2) Prop Wash
3) Rudder Angle (not really a force)
4) Wind
5) Current

Get at least 3 of the 5 working in your favor and you can dock the boat anywhere.

Might want to practice to turning the boat in its own boat length by using prop walk and prop wash. You should be able to do it without turning the wheel (rudder).

Sail Your Story!

post #28 of 73 Old 04-27-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
Another way to think about is to use "The Five Forces"

1) Prop Walk
2) Prop Wash
3) Rudder Angle (not really a force)
4) Wind
5) Current
Get at least 3 of the 5 working in your favor and you can dock the boat anywhere.
And if you can't get any of these 'working in your favor' should you just take your ball and go home?
Come on. You've got to learn to handle your boat no matter what the conditions are or you shouldn't ever take it out of the slip.
Any idiot can make a boat go, but it takes a sailor to stop one. Docking is part of stopping.
seabeau likes this.

post #29 of 73 Old 04-27-2016
Yamsailor

Capta lets take a simple look at your statement:

Let's assume for a minute your engine is dead. ok--this removes forces 1 and 2. With out rudder angle you have limited capacity to control the boat--yes you can turn the boat without using the rudder but not with any precision and speed in order to dock in most cases.

So let's assume no wind, then you are stopped anyway and you can't move the boat at all--unless there is current, in which case the current will slam you into the dock as you have little counter force. Another option is if there is wind, you approach and the wind dies--good luck trying to stop a boat if you can't back the mainsail on a large vessel. The inertial forces are just too great.

Now stopping is one thing--docking it into a slip is something very different. How about you post a video of you docking stern-to not using any of the five forces I mentioned. I would LOVE to see it.

I think you need to rethink your statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
And if you can't get any of these 'working in your favor' should you just take your ball and go home?
Come on. You've got to learn to handle your boat no matter what the conditions are or you shouldn't ever take it out of the slip.
Any idiot can make a boat go, but it takes a sailor to stop one. Docking is part of stopping.

Sail Your Story!

Last edited by Yamsailor; 04-27-2016 at 10:35 AM.
post #30 of 73 Old 04-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Might I suggest that instead of watching all these videos, that one might have mastered docking in half the time had one just practiced docking the boat instead? Away from the da*m computer.
Gotta agree with you Capta, you're not gonna learn how to drive a boat from the internet. Better to get tiller time.
Yamsailor likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in