ASA 101 Prep? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 07-17-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: ASA 101 Prep?

I have heard a couple lessons from this guy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sa...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

I have mixed feelings on it. He has some samples on his podcast at Sailing in the Mediterranean and I would listen to the sample, but the set for 101 is only $10. Not sure if I would want to listen to him for money, but his pod cast can be interesting, but not great. But if you have a commute it might be better to listen to than the "morning gang" on any radio station. Might be a good additional source. I think he tends to editorialize and criticize what is expected to be known for my taste. I understand some of the info and terminology may be arcane, but you just learn it and go on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 07-17-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrkdbfGuy View Post
I have the ASA 101/103 classes coming up in about three weeks. My books have already arrived and I'm reading them carefully. Make sure your class sends you your material. It seems logical to me to get the "book stuff" out of the way so the "on the water" time can be spent wisely.

Bill
Getting my materials on Monday, and reading the Annapolis Book of Seamanship in the meantime. Thanks to everyone for the good advice, really excited to take the next step toward my own boat.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-17-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I have heard a couple lessons from this guy:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sa...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

I have mixed feelings on it. He has some samples on his podcast at Sailing in the Mediterranean and I would listen to the sample, but the set for 101 is only $10. Not sure if I would want to listen to him for money, but his pod cast can be interesting, but not great. But if you have a commute it might be better to listen to than the "morning gang" on any radio station. Might be a good additional source. I think he tends to editorialize and criticize what is expected to be known for my taste. I understand some of the info and terminology may be arcane, but you just learn it and go on.
I do have a commute, but it's by boat so I spend it looking at the water mostly :-)

post #14 of 19 Old 07-17-2015

Good luck & have fun! I took the 101 challenge, & the admiral did the 101-104 course in April. As others have said, read the book & be able to understand / answer the review questions. Hopefully the course weekend will strengthen your sailing desires & abilities.
Mike
post #15 of 19 Old 07-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtloves View Post
reading the Annapolis Book of Seamanship in the meantime.
That is a fantastic book. It has everything the ASA books cover plus much more. I went through it cover to cover (OK, I skimmed some of the nav stuff) when I first started sailing, then went through it again when I took ASA 106 and they used it as the course book.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #16 of 19 Old 07-20-2015

Let's not forget that ASA 101 is a beginners's course. It includes the fundamentals, and assumes you know nothing. The class I took was structured so that classroom was in the morning, and we tried stuff out on the water in the afternoon.

There is no need to study before the class. It would be useful to review the day's material in the evening after the class, and definitely swot up before the test!

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #17 of 19 Old 07-20-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Let's not forget that ASA 101 is a beginners's course. It includes the fundamentals, and assumes you know nothing. The class I took was structured so that classroom was in the morning, and we tried stuff out on the water in the afternoon.

There is no need to study before the class. It would be useful to review the day's material in the evening after the class, and definitely swot up before the test!

Definitely true, but I figured if i can shorten classroom/shore time, all the better!
post #18 of 19 Old 07-22-2015

I will give a "chalk talk" at the outset, but if everyone has studied either a book or an on-line tutorial, or even just looked at the standard Points-of-sail circular diagram, I can make the talk-time shorter and sailing time longer.

But I do not assume anyone has read or studied anything, I'll ask them, and ask about any prior sailing experience no matter how long ago.

I think the bigger question here is about learning styles and how they mesh with teaching styles. I tend to think sailors learn better by sailing, then looking afterward to see how "the book is right", than reading the book and comparing their experience to it--almost too much to think about when it's all new. So I'm more likely to give a short "debrief" with (my beat-up) book afterward if they have time, showing them how much of the book they just did. I think it leaves them on a high note.

I could be wrong doing "do, then read about it", if someone's learning style is the opposite, but haven't seen a downside in actual practice.

Reading beforehand is fine, just don't let it make you nervous or intimidated. Sailing is easier than you will expect..
The Following User Says Thank You to nolatom For This Useful Post:
dirtloves (07-22-2015)
post #19 of 19 Old 07-22-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I will give a "chalk talk" at the outset, but if everyone has studied either a book or an on-line tutorial, or even just looked at the standard Points-of-sail circular diagram, I can make the talk-time shorter and sailing time longer.

But I do not assume anyone has read or studied anything, I'll ask them, and ask about any prior sailing experience no matter how long ago.

I think the bigger question here is about learning styles and how they mesh with teaching styles. I tend to think sailors learn better by sailing, then looking afterward to see how "the book is right", than reading the book and comparing their experience to it--almost too much to think about when it's all new. So I'm more likely to give a short "debrief" with (my beat-up) book afterward if they have time, showing them how much of the book they just did. I think it leaves them on a high note.

I could be wrong doing "do, then read about it", if someone's learning style is the opposite, but haven't seen a downside in actual practice.

Reading beforehand is fine, just don't let it make you nervous or intimidated. Sailing is easier than you will expect..
That all sounds excellent. Sounds like I'm letting my excitement get out of hand. :-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in